• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shiny Old Gold U.S. Coin

3 posts in this topic

Help me out here.

I have a 1876-CC $20 Liberty, MS 60. (NGC)

When I angle it to the light its fields are very reflective.  For a Carson City, they're surprisingly lustrous.

Now, it is a large coin, and the fields really should have a lot of reflectivity due to their overall size, so maybe it is that the coin just has "nice" fields.

Also, I've never collected Proof Like coins, and I don't think I've ever seen a Proof Like coin, so it could be that it leans toward that sort of aspect.

What causes Proof Like coin appearances, especially for the case of old U.S. Gold?

On the reverse of the coin, which is also shiny and lustrous, there is one very faint copper spot, it doesn't concern me, but it may suggest that the coin has never been "treated" in any way, since it is still there, slightly obscured by one of the devices.

So, another question I have about the coin centers around, could the coin just be naturally lustrous?

If it had been dipped, or treated in some way, would that have made it more lustrous, or would the opposite occur, where it would be dulled down?

The fact that NGC graded it makes me not worry about adulteration, but still, it is the most reflective coin in my collection.

My two other Carson City coins — $10, and $5 — are much more worn (they're AU 53 and AU58, respectively) and so I can't really compare it to their appearances.

Anyone have any comment on what would explain the coin's luster?

I have two reference books on double eagles. Concerning the 1876-CC, one says," 1876-CC Double Eagles generally have good luster which can range from Prooflike to satiny to slightly dull. The colorations most often seen are bright yellow gold and greenish gold. Pieces are sometimes found with copper spots and these are not considered detracting unless they are very heavy or conspicuously located." (Evidently, this author did not believe in the use of commas.)

Bowers says," Usually fairly well struck save for highest hair details. Usually in bright yellow gold. Mint State pieces are apt to show Prooflike surfaces."

NGC currently shows 7 coins designated prooflike. 

Hopefully, that info is of some help.

Great reply, Just Bob.  It does help a lot!

The coin's weakest feature is the hair on the very top, to the right of the Coronate, and (imho) that's why it got the grade of MS60, and not MS61. (probably saved me $$$, 60 and not 61, btw)

The lone copper spot on the reverse is to the left of the beak, but nicely centered in the circular curlycue thing, so near invisible.

I was delighted when I got the coin because I needed an 1870's Carson City $20 to fill the decade, but also to embellish my 1834 — 1932, 14 coin, US Gold type set with a Carson City "mini-run" of $20, $10, $5… 1870's, 1880's, and 1890's.

As soon as I saw it listed, from a major dealer I had worked with before, I called them from work and thought I'd talk my salesman down, as I had been able to do before on other coins, and possibly get him down a thousand dollars since its price was five figures… expensive for me, to say the least.

He wouldn't budge a dime.  I tried again, same call, reminding him how good a customer I had been, how well we worked together, trying to "butter him up."

He thought about it, probably coin in hand on his side, turning it over and checking it thoroughly, both sides, and he said, no, the coin was solid for the price.

I bought it seconds later… full price.

If I hadn't, someone else "would've," and I'd have been left out in the cold with "could've, should've."