• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any ideas?

30 posts in this topic

Not sure if electrum was that rich in gold. Looking through several references, I didn't uncover either obverse or reverse. However, due to the visible lettering on the reverse, confirmation will be easy when someone zeroes in.

There are a number of Greek issues with two heads, but I didn't come up with the one large/one small. Likewise, there are many with bulls (which I believe the animal to be), but I came up with none with the legs posed thus.

I'll be really interested to see if anyone zeroes in on it.

48 minutes ago, Greg Pimper said:

Why do you think that would be a bull...I was thinking a wild boar or even a horse given the wear on the edge of the coin...just asking not questioning (because I think you are correct).

It could possibly be a boar. What makes me think it's a bull is the shoulders, which are pretty robust--yet unlike a horse, there isn't a long neck. The withers also seem to be prominent. I struggle to imagine it being any other animal, although I probably should have taken a closer look at mythical beasts such as chimeras.

3 hours ago, Greg Pimper said:

Any idea about the Tyche?  Brass (mostly zinc), 10.4 gm, 25 mm.  I've only seen it (or something like it) in bronze.  Could be Cleopatra VII but I'm really not sure.

You know for sure it's Tyche? Looks to me like a radiate bust obverse, probably a billon ant-type piece, but provincial coinage.

That's why I ask :-)  I'm thinking a Marcus Anthony/Cleopatra but I've never seen it in brass.  Mabey Syria. We've found some really cool coins but some are tough to ID.  Really appreciate your assist, though!  Fun stuff!

34 minutes ago, Greg Pimper said:

Nobody has anything on the two bust coin?  That one really has me at a loss.

Be patient. Sometimes someone will see it and think, "maybe Thursday I will have a spare hour to dig through every reference I have."  You will not know that they did or planned this, and all you can do is wait and accept that it doesn't always happen immediately.

50 minutes ago, Greg Pimper said:

Nobody has anything on the two bust coin?  That one really has me at a loss.

Sadly, I know virtually nothing about ancients.  I only own a single one.  Ancients never really grabbed my attention in any way......just to explain why I've been silent here when I'm usually more of a help :)

Mohawk, my daughter and I stumbled into a pretty amazing bunch of coins.  50% are just slugs but the rest are pretty fun...all very old.  We are still trying to figure out how to clean these things.  Wonderful learning experience.  Any advice would be very much welcomed!

41 minutes ago, Greg Pimper said:

We are still trying to figure out how to clean these things.  

Cleaning coins is generally not a good idea. Why do you want to clean them?

4 hours ago, Greg Pimper said:

Sad thing is, I've got about another dozen that I need help with :-)

I assume you're taking full advantage of Wildwinds. (If not, you should.)

22 hours ago, Revenant said:

Cleaning coins is generally not a good idea. Why do you want to clean them?

With modern coins I agree 100% (never!) but we are working a big batch of crusty ancients (500+ BC Greek all the way to late Byzantine).  Have to clean them in order to identify.  Distilled water for a couple of months usually works.  We're still working out the best methods.  Wonderfully educational, though! (my girl is 11 and knows more about Numismatics than anybody I know :-)

17 hours ago, JKK said:

I assume you're taking full advantage of Wildwinds. (If not, you should.)

Wildwinds is great but a little overwhelming.  When I can make out certain aspects it's a great help.  I like  FORVM as well.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, JKK said:

You know for sure it's Tyche? Looks to me like a radiate bust obverse, probably a billon ant-type piece, but provincial coinage.

Totally not sure!  Still researching.  Possibly Syrian billion mint from what I've found so far...the fun of the hunt ;-)

I happened on one with a very similar reverse in Sear (SGI 3959). That entry describes that as a veiled and turreted bust of the City-goddess with a ram running right above, and the coin originating from Selukis & Pieria under Philip I. I think it was about that time, or not long before, that radiate obverse busts started to become very common. However, SGI 3959 is not reported as brassy, and is 30mm, and in any case doesn't have a radiate obverse bust. But just knowing that it seems like the reverse is described thus should be a help. Not sure I see the same ram, but the bust is a dead ringer. Might also look in Antiochene Philip I Greek Imperial issues--I saw some such as BMC 526-529 and following. In fact I found so many that I would be totally unsurprised if you found it in that neck of the woods.

JKK, I agree and the area is right. The medal is interesting, though.  Not quite brass from what I've found more an orichalcum (brass but more zinc than copper).  I do think this might be a Philip the Arab...that's cool!  Still looking.  Thanks!