• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1979 Susan B. ?

6 posts in this topic

My Cherrypicker's Guide says that there's a 79-P rim variant and a 79-S proof mintmark variant. I can't see your MM well enough to determine what it is, but the coin does not look very proofy at all. I mention this, though, because the 79-S variants are Type II (clear MM) and Type I (blobby MM). TII is rare and would be worth about eight times the value of a similar TI. Just in case that somehow, against all likelihood, is a circulated and rather heavily worn proof. I think the most likely case is it's simply a blobby P and nothing special.

Hello and welcome!

I sell a lot of modern US coins and I can tell you that you have a regular business strike 1979-S Anthony Dollar that is circulated.  While most post-1968 San Francisco coins are proofs, the San Francisco Mint struck business strike Anthony Dollars in 1979, 1980 and 1981, though the 1981 coins were only included in collector sets.  The Blob S is the only mint mark style known for 1979-S business strike dollars and they are extremely common.  The proofs for 1979 have two mint mark styes, the blob S which is known as the Type 1 and a clear, crisp S known as the Type 2.  The clear S is only found on Proofs, which your coin is not.  It's just worth face value.

25 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hello and welcome!

I sell a lot of modern US coins and I can tell you that you have a regular business strike 1979-S Anthony Dollar that is circulated.  While most post-1968 San Francisco coins are proofs, the San Francisco Mint struck business strike Anthony Dollars in 1979, 1980 and 1981, though the 1981 coins were only included in collector sets.  The Blob S is the only mint mark style known for 1979-S business strike dollars and they are extremely common.  The proofs for 1979 have two mint mark styes, the blob S which is known as the Type 1 and a clear, crisp S known as the Type 2.  The clear S is only found on Proofs, which your coin is not.  It's just worth face value.

Thank you