• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1797 Great Britain penny variety attribution (resubmission question)

8 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a 1797 Great Britain penny that I received back not too long ago (471315-001). This coin is the 11 leaves variety. After checking the variety plus portion for UK coins I noted that this variety was not listed; however, there are several in the census that are designated as such. Given that the variety is not listed but appears in the census and that there is no listed fee for the variety attribution I did not note it on the submission form because I assumed it was an attribution that was labeled by default (e.g. 1788 G.B. Droz pattern halfpenny varieties). I inquired about this variety attribution after the coin was returned to me and was informed that the variety is recognized and that I could resubmit the coin to correct the omission. I failed to ask for further information regarding resubmission. Is this something that NGC will cover, or do I need to resubmit and pay for all associated fees?

• Administrator

Hi,

This is a variety that we do recognize.  You'll need to send this back as Variety Plus.  There will be a $15 fee plus return shipping, insurance and handling.

Thank you!

Happy New Year

Thank you for checking on that for me. Would it be possible to add this to the appropriate variety plus section with the reflected $15 fee on the NGC variety plus website? I would suspect that others such as myself have made a similar mistake and not marked it on the submission form because it is not a listed attribution with an associated fee on the NGC variety plus website. This is a costly mistake for submitters ($15 attribution fee, $10 handling, $23 return shipping) that could be avoided should the list be updated. It also remains possible that some coins of this variety are also not properly listed in the census because submitters may have made the same assumptions I had about it being an attribution labeled by default (e.g. 1788 G.B. Droz pattern halfpenny varieties). Please let me know if it is possible to make these changes on the website to accurately reflect this variety attribution.