• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another 1982 1c question...

6 posts in this topic

In an effort to chip away at my ignorance I would like to solicit answers from anyone willing to offer some insight. I've heard it said multiple times on this site that the 1982 Bronze Small-Date (P) is common and does not carry a premium. However, I have seen more than a few of these coins (granted, in much better shape than the one shown) go for several thousand dollars. Now I realize that any premium over intrinsic value is what a buyer is willing to spend, but it seems that $750 - $1000 is not uncommon. Given my "newness" I prefer to err on the side of caution and assume that there is something that I am missing, so I hope someone is willing to shed some light on this matter.  On a side note and why I am so interested is that in 1991 I had a girlfriend who gave me a wax sealed glass, quart-sized jug filled with 1 cent pieces. I unsealed it several days ago and apart from the 150 or so 1990-1991's there are no fewer than 40 1982 coppers- 5 of which are small dates and the others large date D's and P's. I would love to find a close AM in there some where as the 1990's look virtually untouched as they were sealed when new and have been sitting in a jar for the last 27 years. Iv'e uploaded a Small date and a Large date-D. 972445119_1982SDCent.thumb.jpg.c60180b9a2715aede46ac00d79622f3b.jpg1817100716_1982-DCuLD.thumb.jpg.7b970a322a322ac823bb473ca1904691.jpgAnyway, thanks in advance and have a nice holiday season.

NGC has certified only 16 1982 bronze small date cents in MS67,.with none higher. (As of 12/14/18) If the competition for registry sets is fierce enough, that could be what is fueling the high prices.

When someone on here srates that the small date Philadelphia cents are not worth a premiun, it is usually in response to someone who thinks they have struck it rich after finding a small date bronze Denver cent in circulation. 

Your bet would be wrong.

The top coin is a 1982 Philadelphia small date made in copper and it is common.  As a GRADE rarity in MS-67 or better it would be a valuable coin, but in lesser grades it has minimal value.

The 1982 D is also made of copper, but it is a large date and once again common withthe possible exception of very high end grade rarities.

On 12/16/2018 at 4:22 AM, Conder101 said:

Your bet would be wrong.

The top coin is a 1982 Philadelphia small date made in copper and it is common.  As a GRADE rarity in MS-67 or better it would be a valuable coin, but in lesser grades it has minimal value.

The 1982 D is also made of copper, but it is a large date and once again common withthe possible exception of very high end grade rarities.

As usual, Conder has it exactly correct.