• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steel Imposter

4 posts in this topic

When I picked up this coin I was 100% certain it was my 1943 D Steel War time Lincoln Cent.  As you can see. I was mistaken. I'm sure there is an explanation for the two coin similarity. But I don't have it.  So I reach out to the members here.  Thank You. And Merry Christmas All.

S20181209_0003.jpg

The 1943 cents were zinc plated steel.  Since 1982 the cents have been copper plated zinc.  If you strip the copper plating off a post 1982 cent then all you have is zinc and they end up looking like the coin that you have.  Dull gray with silvery highlights where wear has occurred recently.

Yeah, the copper is really thin. You could lose all of it without losing much detail at all. Plus, that grey has a very zincy look, just the right color. Not sure what they used to take off the copper, but those scrapes from 10 to 4 o' clock may have to do with the method.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Not sure what they used to take off the copper

There is an old plater's method called the "Mathers and Martin" method.

To make 100ml of the Mathers and Martin solution:
Sodium hydroxide - 10g
Sulfur - 15g
Add water to 100ml

For legal reasons, that is as far as I go.