• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Seated Dollars)

14 posts in this topic

Let's discuss my favorite series: Liberty Seated Dollars.

1. There are eight dates that, in MS, frequently come with prominent die polish lines. Name them.

2. Of the two O-mint Treasury Hoard dates, which one is conditionally scarce in ChMS or better? (Please don't guess!)

EVP

Breen pp 436 Both 59o and 60o from 1962-63 hoard they were all heavly bagmarked.

Chris,

I assume that you're trying to answer the 2nd question... Sorry, but you didn't really answer the question, unless you mean to say that neither the '59-O nor the '60-O are conditionally scarce in ChMS or better. In that case, you'd be wrong.

EVP

I will say 59o is rarer. Went to NGC pop report and PCGS prices. This is where I got info

Date grade pop price

59o

ms63 = 18 $ 6850

ms64= 16 $7800

ms65= 1 none

total pop 35

60o

ms63 = 31 $ 3100

ms64 = 21 $ 6850

ms65 = 7 $21000

ms66 = 3 none

total pop 63

CHRIS

Up until a few years ago, both O mints were very rare in Very Choice and above. Then the high grade Chimney hoard (and the Pittman) 1860-O's came on the market and now only the 1859-O is rare.

Looking forward to the answer because all I have is a guess. I've been eyeing the series for a long time and still need one the the type set, but it is just going to have to be a in hand first purchase I believe. that with the fact that the phx show is yearly,,,,,,,, maybe this time I'll feel knowledgeable enough to aquire a nice one. smirk.gif

Perhaps he who occupies the top spot for the MS Seated Dollar Set can give a serious attempt at the first question...

I thought that we established in the Registry Forum that he's a slab collector and not a coin collector.

wink.gif

Maybe he who has the #1 SD set will learn something...

wink.gif

The '42, '45, '51, '60, '61, '62, '63, '64. Some would say '65 as well, but I've never personally seen one. The '45, '51 and '64 are really tough to find in UNC, so it's for anyone to see the striations.

I chose this question because it helps people to know what one of these dates should look like. If you're careful, you can find one with a really nice cameo contrast. Those would be lovely indeed!

EVP