• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 coin

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I really would like to find out what I have here. I have searched and searched and can’t find anything anywhere. My great grandfather was stationed all over the world and he would collect coins from his visits. This was one of them. It appears to be bronze/silver/bronze. One side is commonwealth of Australia 1922 and the other side is an engraved or “cutout” of a kangaroo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

7682846F-46F5-4FEC-8CBD-FCC4AF079507.jpeg

Welcome to the boards! Can you add a picture of the edge? I suspect this piece is likely a concoction made out of 3 different coins. The "obverse" of this piece seems be constructed from a 1922 Australian penny (the outer bronze ring around the silver part) and part of what may be a shilling (the silver part). The "reverse" appears be an Australian penny with the major fields cut out. It should be noted that the bust on this piece is of George VI; however, the appropriate bust for a coin dated 1922 would be George V. This likely a piece of folk art and not something that was produced at the mint. If I had to guess the edge shows a layer of bronze followed by a layer of silver followed by another layer of bronze.