• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detect coins

19 posts in this topic

I think what you mean to ask is what metal is the coin, not whether it is a male coin or a female coin (or these days, still making up its mind and rejecting binary gender as a concept). The holder says it's silver (that's the AR). The only other reasonable possibility is electrum, which I don't believe was still in use by that time. Looks to me like Sear 4181, though I can't claim to have delved deeply.

'Confirm' is not a word I would presume to use in the circumstances, but if you want my opinion about its authenticity, I'd say it looks pretty real to me.

How do you evaluate it in terms of quality and shadows?
Is it compatible with the photo inside the series?

Serial number: 3818456-003

The seller sold the metal coin as a pure silver. is it correct?

Is this really a pure silver coin?

There is no photo of SG-4181 in the guide. There is a b/w photo of SG-4182, which is a variant of SG-4181, and how I deduced that was probably the correct ID. I did not find an image on my usual sources.

In terms of quality, I think the grade is fair--perhaps a shade conservative. Shadows depend upon ambient light and I'm not sure what you want to know there.

So far as I'm aware, the original issue is unalloyed Ag, so if this coin is authentic (as it appears), it would be all Ag. As for certifying that it is actually Ag, you'd have to crack it out and have it assayed in order to ascertain that. I don't think that is a necessary step.

5 hours ago, JKK said:

So far as I'm aware, the original issue is unalloyed Ag, so if this coin is authentic (as it appears), it would be all Ag. As for certifying that it is actually Ag, you'd have to crack it out and have it assayed in order to ascertain that. I don't think that is a necessary step.

AG is the symbol for silver, so what JKK is saying is that , if this coin is real,  and it does appear to be real, then yes, it is silver.

Since none of us have seen this coin in hand, none of us can say for certain that it is genuine, or that the holder and label are genuine.  All that any of us can do is offer an opinion. My opinion is that it looks genuine, but I can not say with one hundred percent certainty that it is.

If it isn't the same coin in both images then they must have used the one to make a mold to cast the other.  They both have the same marks in the same locations, the same shape for the planchet and the same edge bumps and nick..I'd say it is the same coin and slab.

As for being pure silver, probably not, but probably close.  They could do fairly good refining back then but I would still expect some impurities to remain.

They sure look similar. It is evident they display the same coin, with very different lighting. The split nick at 3:00 on the obverse makes that quite clear.

I'm not an expert. I've looked at a lot of ancients, and probably Bob has looked at even more, but we're not here to certify anything. We're here to give the most educated opinions within our knowledge sets, without trying to proclaim ourselves experts. I know a real expert in this area, well enough to know that I am not his equal, and he is not on the board.

I think it's highly likely authentic, very highly likely an authentic slab (that I think you could look up easily enough), very fairly graded, and overall a very pleasing coin. Those are what I think. I do not proclaim that they are ineffable facts.