• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1293/27(1901) 500 Kurush gold coin and 1997 2oz Gold Kangaroo

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to have some input from the forum regarding to 1293/27(1901) 500 Kurush gold coin and 1997 2oz Gold Kangaroo. 

• 1293/27(1901) 500 Kurush gold coin
    • Was the coin being cleaned once upon a time? From the pictures, it seems to be the case. From the real time inspection, it is uncertain.  Please see attached photos for details.
    • If not, is it a good idea to send it in for grading?
  • 1997 2oz Gold Kangaroo
    • The coin has quite a bit blemishes and single light scratch below the Kangaroo as shown in the attached photos. On the other hand, the final mintage of this coin is declared as 11,388 pieces from Perth mint.
    • I can't decide if it is worthy to have NCS to address the blemishes issue and NGC for grading since the mintage seems to be low. 

Thanks in advance.

HealthBabe

DSC_0076-1.jpg

DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0078-1.jpg

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_0080-1.jpg

DSC_0081-1.jpg

DSC_0082-1.jpg

DSC_0083-1.jpg

Can't speak to the Aussie, but given the potential value of the Ottoman piece, I think it'd be worth sending in for both grading and authentication. I don't know what I think of the color as pictured. Before I did anything, I would definitely check its weight (should be right around 35g) and put a magnet very near it. If it doesn't jump to the magnet, no risk; if it does jump to it, it's worthless anyway.

Hi JKK,

Thanks for your advice. I just need to collect more data points that will help me make my final decision for sending it/them in. For verification of its authenticity,  the following tests have been performed.

• Magnet : Result is negative.
  • Scale : Measured at 36.08g which matches NGC's definition/spec.
  • Precious metal verifier Resistance is slightly higher than Krugerrand/100 Corona and density within the range from the verifier.
  • Before the coin was purchased, it was sent to certified lab for XRP measurements and result is negative (Real gold).  

Thanks a bunch and have wonderful day.

HB

Good job. Have you put it under a microscope to look for signs of abrasive cleaning or chemical residue? That'd be my next step.

Hi JKK,

Good call for the optical inspection with high mag scope. The coin appears showing no sign of abrasive cleaning and chemical residue as shown in the new attached photos. It just looks like a normal circulated coin. What do you think?

Thanks for your recommendation again. You are very knowledgeable who I can learn from.  

HB

DSC_0059[1].JPG

DSC_0060[1].JPG

I can't think of any more bases to touch; you've done it right. If you didn't find any evidence of cleaning or doctoring, it may well be worth sending in. Nice piece, lots of sharp detail, overall attractive coin. I've always liked Ottoman stuff, but I don't have any gold, so I'm no expert.