• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these copper nickel clad

16 posts in this topic

Yes, all of the dimes, quarters, halves and dollars in the 1973 Mint Set are copper-nickel clad.  The 1973 Ike Dollars are Mint Set only coins, so that's a cool little bonus for you with that set.

In my experience, it is absolutely impossible to accurately grade coins inside of Mint Set and Proof Set packaging, especially from pictures.  I grade and sell a lot of modern coins, and I have been doing so since around 2008.  What I can tell you is that these coins look very different inside the packaging than they do outside of it in a lot of cases, and a photograph adds an extra layer of distance between myself and the coin as far as grading goes.  It may not be the same for everyone here, but I absolutely cannot accurately predict a grade on a coin in a mint set package from a photo.

I really appreciate it. Hell I just buy coins because there different since I was a little kid and are in good shape. But I was told have some really nice coins so I wanna figure a couple out or which one they are. I’m not the most computer savvy. I literally have had a massive collection for years and did not realize some of there true values

6 minutes ago, BellaNathan said:

So are these considered rare these days?

image.jpg

Hello again,

I don't think that 1964 Mint Sets are considered rare, but they are desirable.  On Ebay, they're bringing between $20 and $30 right now.  There are some decent varieties on some 1964 coinage too.  I am unsure if they can be found in Mint Sets, but take a look at our host's Variety Plus page and then check your coins.....you never know what you may find!

I just put them with the others i’ve always been fascinated with coins and been a part of the collective program As well as my grandfather who passed away and And left to me his stuff because he knew I would take care of them

1 minute ago, BellaNathan said:

Thanks Mohawk whoever you are. Lol I just have kids and not a whole lot of time to full round with them. But now that schools back in session I figured take these things out start checking what they are

No problem.  My first name is Tom, and I sell modern coins on here, along with collecting coins that depict birds, infants and I just started a collection of currency.  I am also a full time student who is working on his doctoral dissertation along with being a sometimes adjunct college instructor.  It's nice to meet you :).  As someone in the field of education, I enjoy sharing knowledge with others and learning from them as well.  I'm glad that I've been of some help to you.  Welcome to the forums!

I appreciate that Tom. I tell you what if you don’t mind me asking you or sending you a few pictures of different looking coins I will get together I would like to send you a coin in a certain series you desire. And don’t say that’s not  necessary I want to do it. It’s hard to put things on here right now as things without people thinking that you’re bragging or showing off I literally have a massive collection I want to start getting more involved with. I finally got to the point where I can dedicate myself to these

4 hours ago, BellaNathan said:

I appreciate that Tom. I tell you what if you don’t mind me asking you or sending you a few pictures of different looking coins I will get together I would like to send you a coin in a certain series you desire. And don’t say that’s not  necessary I want to do it. It’s hard to put things on here right now as things without people thinking that you’re bragging or showing off I literally have a massive collection I want to start getting more involved with. I finally got to the point where I can dedicate myself to these

Hello again,

I'd be glad to look at your pics, and you really don't have to send me anything at all....I'm glad to do it.  And, communicating on this board actually helps me with my school work.  This message board is an excellent example of what is termed in my field as an asynchronous communication application, and I actually gain a lot of insights by hanging out here as web-based distance learning is my specialty in school and asynchronous communication applications are huge in that area of the field of education......and I get to talk coins on top of it!  And I enjoy helping new collectors who really want to learn.  So, this is a winner for me on all fronts.  As for your Mercury folder, you appear to have circulated coins in there, so your Whitman folder should be just fine to house them.  Those folders are just fine for circulated coins and I have a couple myself, including a Canadian Small Cent set which I have been working on since I was 8, so for 30 years now (not in the original folders, those fell apart years ago).  You just don't want to put uncirculated coins in Whitman folders as they will not protect them from scratches or toning.

Once again, I hope that I have been helpful to you.  And I will continue to try to give the best info I can!

Cheers!

~Tom