• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoax or Legit

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

As I was going through my coins, I found a double tail quarter, and what struck my curiosity was that on one side it looks to be of the mid-60 era silver quarters. Can anyone help me with information, or where I can get information?

20180925_172333.jpg

20180925_172343.jpg

It is possible for one side to be silver, and the other side clad, since these were made using the reverse of two different quarters. On one quarter, the obverse was ground off and the inside milled to form a shell. (Imagine a tuna can with short sides.) The second quarter had the obverse ground off as well, and the diameter cut down just enough to make it fit snugly into the shell formed by the first coin . In your pics, it appears that the second one is the shell side, and the first one is the reduced diameter piece.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, Daggerboss said:

so I guess my next question would be, is it worth anything?

It's really only worth what someone would be willing to pay for it.  It's just a novelty made from two damaged coins.