• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need someone help - what do you think this would grade

14 posts in this topic

I need a second, third and maybe fourth opinion on what you think the grade of this sovereign is.  Problem free??? I have my thought, but am interested in yours. Reverse does not have any issues so I am only interested I the obverse.

image.jpg

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Added

Thank you. I don’t typically look at that type of coin, but my guess would be AU58. Initially, I was slightly lower, based just on the obverse image. I also wonder if perhaps there was an obverse spot removal, where the scratches are, to the left of the bridge of the nose.

1 minute ago, MarkFeld said:

Thank you. I don’t typically look at that type of coin, but my guess would be AU58. Initially, I was slightly lower, based just on the obverse image.

Thanks Mark - that is were I am with the coin also. 

You asked for multiple opinions, so here is mine. I  like the coin a lot, but I don't see it as "problem free." Between the scratches in front of the eyes and the one in front of the neck, I think this one is a no-grade. I hope I am wrong. 

16 hours ago, Just Bob said:

You asked for multiple opinions, so here is mine. I  like the coin a lot, but I don't see it as "problem free." Between the scratches in front of the eyes and the one in front of the neck, I think this one is a no-grade. I hope I am wrong. 

Those are the areas that worried me. After debating with myself - back and forth - I thought that the coin would grade by a thin margin over not grading. I ended up passing on the coin because of those areas - and the price.

16 hours ago, Zebo said:

Those are the areas that worried me. After debating with myself - back and forth - I thought that the coin would grade by a thin margin over not grading. I ended up passing on the coin because of those areas - and the price.

The size of the image might make the defects worse than is apparent versus a direct inspection since your image is about 100 times actual.

I recently bought a 1/2 real (about the size of a half dime) where I was the only bidder.  The auction images also enable viewing at about 100 times actual size.  The opening bid was reasonable which is why I bought it.  I assume that no one else bid due to one of two reasons.  One, there is the appearance of a "4" on the pillar side in the fields which some may view as "graffiti".  I consider the mark trivial because it's tiny even relative to this small coin but it might result in a "no grade".  Two, the surfaces appear somewhat granular which I believe is from when the coin was struck.

19 hours ago, Lancek said:

If old sovereigns are your thing, I just sent in five to get graded.  I may be looking to sell a few.  I doubt any will grade quite as nice as the one in the picture, but they are all older dates.

I probably already have them, but let me know the grades, date and mint - who knows.

You Know I usually download pics of coins that ask for a grade so that I could apply some filters to see if what I am seeing in the original pic is maybe an artifact but every filter I used made your coin look worse... 

Truthfully I really like the design but that coin is just beat ...

looks like someone scrubbed something off in front of the eyes, a staple scratch in front of and across the neck and a pretty good ding behind the head... And just baggy..  

But it HAS to look better in hand....

Edited to add … Looks like a jewelry piece