• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teaching what you taught me

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I hope you're all doing well. I am good. I just stopped by to tell you all Thanks a Bunch for all the insight and information you've shared with me via this Forum. I have yet to find that one amazing coin that I so desire, but thanks to this forum, and to you 5 or 6 guys that are always here to counsel, I have cut out a tiny 'notch' for myself in making others feel good about their finds-whether great or not.  I have found articles that go far in teaching others about the minting process and how errors are made and I pass them on. I am now able to answer questions that other newbies have and make me not feel so much the newbie myself. And have even been given recognition and unexpected prizes for my efforts.  So you guys are great and have taught me much.  Just wanted to let you know.  Somehow I'm sure I'm not the only one, just maybe the only one that bothers to give you the props.  So keep up your great work and have a great day! Much love from me to you.

This is really excellent, because it's difficult for regulars to handle breaking all the unwelcome news to newbies: no, that's a counterfeit--and a bad one; no, that's not a double die; no, that's not worth more because it has a minor defect; no, that's not a proof; no, etc. And yet it's important to teach, and to teach with kindness. So if you can use the knowledge you have built in order to help break bad news gently to new numismatists, in ways that do not sound exasperated, that's a real service for dead sure because some of us struggle with it and mostly shut up as a result. Patience truly is a virtue.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:37 AM, JKK said:

This is really excellent, because it's difficult for regulars to handle breaking all the unwelcome news to newbies: no, that's a counterfeit--and a bad one; no, that's not a double die; no, that's not worth more because it has a minor defect; no, that's not a proof; no, etc. And yet it's important to teach, and to teach with kindness. So if you can use the knowledge you have built in order to help break bad news gently to new numismatists, in ways that do not sound exasperated, that's a real service for dead sure because some of us struggle with it and mostly shut up as a result. Patience truly is a virtue.

Aw Jkk. If it hadn't been for you and several of the other guys on here I probably would have given up months ago. I had been into a couple other site's chat rooms and was REALLY disenchanted. Then I came here and you guys were all great. Of course I put out there that I wasn't looking to hear from rudipoos in my 1st post so maybe that helped. Lol! But yeah, you guys are great and I just thought you should know it. Plus y'alls attitude caused me to be more selective with my FB groups as well. I have no time for canned answers and am part of a couple of really great groups where answers are given and then explained. That's most important, in my opinion, is explaining WHY it is PMD or NOT improperly annealed. Y'all do that and the only reason I don't stay here exclusively is because y'all would totally get tired of me. Lymi!!!

i mean, for real I currently photos of 7 different coins in my phone waiting to post them somewhere and ask a question about. So just cause I can help some other people doesn't mean I suddenly know it all and don't need help myself. But if I posted all 7 coins in one day y'all would definitely dislike me some, I'd think.