• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (BB-16, 1795 FH Bol.20)

12 posts in this topic

It's been a long time since I posted a trivia question. To get back into the practice, I'll start off with a real neat ED die marriage: the 1795 FH dollar, Bol.20 or BB-16.

1. BB-16 shares the same obverse die with which other die marriages?

2. BB-16 shares the same reverse die with which other die marriage?

3. How many confirmed specimens of BB-16 are there? Identify them all.

Bonus question: Give the current rarity rating, according to the JRCS, for the die marriages in #1.

EVP

EVP,

It's nice to have an early dollar question for my first post on this side of the street!

I believe the answers are:

1. BB-16 shares the same obverse die with B-7, BB-18 (fairly common), and B-18, BB-17 (currently unique.)

2. BB-16 shares the same reverse die with B-8, BB-15 (very rare).

3. To the best of my knowledge, there are currently three confirmed specimens of the B-20, BB16 variety:

-- The Frank Stirling estate specimen, a strong VF coin with numerous adjustment marks. According to Jules Reiver, this specimen is now in the hands of Frank Stirling's daughter, who has expressed no intentions of ever selling.

-- The former Cardinal Collection specimen, VF details with a small hole, sold into the Jules Reiver collection

-- The former Cardinal Collection specimen, VF details with obverse scratches, sold into the Warren Miller collection.

Keep that ED trivia coming!

Whoops, almost forgot -- rarity ratings for Q1: BB-16 is R-8 (3 specimens), BB-17 is R-8 (1 specimen), and BB-18 is R-3.

--Cardinal

Excellent! It's good to have you around so my ED posts don't languish!

The former Cardinal Collection specimen, VF details with obverse scratches, sold into the Warren Miller collection.

I know you didn't do the actual bidding, so I assume you weren't at that auction. But, I'll give you ONE guess as to who was the underbidder! Grrrr... frown.gif

Despite the "EW" scratched into the coin, I thought it was still fairly eye appealing!

EVP

EVP,

What do you mean, you "know" I didn't do the actual bidding? I most certainly DID do the actual bidding -- I was on the telephone with Bowers and Merena at the time. I had previously sold the other coin to Jules, so I didn't want to take any chances when I had the opportunity to get a replacement!

Since I wasn't actually at the auction in person, I really couldn't say who the underbidder was.

Neat coin in any case. I didn't think the scratches were too bad for the grade, but it was bodybagged for me at PCGS, ICG, and NGC because of them. NOW. it's in an NGC holder. Go figure!!

-- Cardinal

Since I wasn't actually at the auction in person, I really couldn't say who the underbidder was.

You still get your one guess on who the underbidder was. It's not a hard guess!

EVP

In the span of only a few months, TWO new R.8 specimens came on the market. Both were fairly beat up but still not too unappealing. The other was in a Heritage LB auction.

I am guessing that Cardinal got 'em both... frown.gif

Yes, I was the underbidder!

EVP

In the span of only a few months, TWO new R.8 specimens came on the market. Both were fairly beat up but still not too unappealing. The other was in a Heritage LB auction. I am guessing that Cardinal got 'em both...

Well, I guess I'm guilty as charged. grin.gif As some might say, I can be rather aggressive at auction. BTW, I was the underbidder on the (now Miller Collection) BB-64, TWICE. mad.gif Would you really think I'd let myself lose out on that variety three times in a row?

Cardinal,

I am afraid to tell you that whenever the (Whitney)Walter-Miller BB-64 comes to market again, you'll get extremely heavy competition from at least one person. Unfortunately, this person realizes that he doesn't have the same level of financial clout as you. frown.gif

BTW, this same person also bid on the coin but dropped out early on as soon as he realized that it was hopeless.

EVP