• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient collection value

12 posts in this topic

Could anyone provide some direction in getting a small collection of ancient coins valued?

We have about 70 in original cards that were passed down from a long-time collector/family member.

Thank you.

I would start by searching the Heritage Rare Coin Galleries archives or one from a similar firm (such as Classical Numismatics group) to attempt to identify what you have.  Heritage is by far the easiest to search.  From this source, you should be able to get a general idea of what the coins are worth, subject to differences in appearance (what US collectors term "eye appeal") and level of preservation.  And if you aren't familiar with coin collecting, you need to be aware that small differences in quality can result in much bigger differences in value, though much less with ancient than US coins.

Depending upon the value, you might also buy a reference book but don't rely on the prices if any are included; use it for attribution only.  You could also contact a coin dealer such as Harlen Berk.

Edited by World Colonial

58 minutes ago, TetonJoe said:

Could anyone provide some direction in getting a small collection of ancient coins valued?

We have about 70 in original cards that were passed down from a long-time collector/family member.

Thank you.

Short answer: it's difficult.

Are they all identified by catalog numbers? Do you know whether they are Roman, Greek, other; silver, gold, bronze, etc.? Those are important factors.

I think you mean that they are in flips (with clear plastic set in cardboard) and that they still have written on the cardboard whatever was on there when bought. If so, that's where you'd look for catalog numbers. You could always post one; if you do, please post close-up front and back images including everything that's on the flip. Weight and diameter are also helpful. (I know that the flip has mass. Just weigh it anyway. Flips usually weigh about 2g including staples.) Ideally you would post the one you think is nicest, the one you think is oldest, and the one you think is most representative overall. The idea here is to get a sense of the whole collection.

You see, if they are all heavily worn late Roman bronzes of Constantine, or Constantius, or someone else whose coins we are drowning in, you would not want to spend a ton of money on that. But they might be Greek, or Roman Republic, or from gods know where else. If they were early Roman Empire pieces in nice shape, they might be worth a lot more.

If you have a local dealer, that person may be able to provide appraisal. If the information on the flips is correct to catalog numbers, that will be much easier and thus not so expensive. If that information is incomplete or incorrect--and you'd be appalled how much of what is written on ancient coin flips is baloney--the dealer will have to research the correct identification. The dealer will probably charge for that, and that's no guarantee the dealer will be correct.

None of the local dealers in my area (Portland, OR) have the knowledge to do a quick and reliable job on ancients. Our club's ancients expert, who is my mentor, can do so. I can as well, though it will take me longer because I haven't seen as many coins as L has. I know there are at least a few other ancients gurus in this area, and Portland has about three million people, so that may help you take a guess at the likelihood of local expertise in your area.

I hope to see your pictures, and then we can perhaps better assist.

Ok thank you both so much- it will be a bit of a challenge I guess, to identify these coins. If we go to a dealer with all of them, do they value them on the spot? We don’t want to leave them with anyone. 

Here are a few pictures front and back. I just pulled some at random. Most of the coins seem to be from Rome, Greece, Egypt (Alexandria) and many just not identified at all. 

Any additional insight for a starting point is most appreciated. 

D89D45D0-32E0-48F0-B4F7-3E9ED274F5AA.jpeg

Nice coins, TetonJoe. If you're in the Teton Valley, too bad I'm not going up there with my wife to visit our niece in Idaho Falls--I'd swing by and lug my ancients reference library. I'd be stuck there for a week with nothing to do but endure my sister-in-law, and nothing would be more of a save than burying my head in ancient coins for as much of that period as possible.

You have coins of more than nominal value there. Nice Domitian denarii, like that one, can be in the $40-80 range. I'm betting the drachm, if that's the correct denomination, is in that range. The L. Julius silver, likely more. Claudius As (yes, that was a real denomination), same neck of the woods. If I owned what you pictured, and someone offered me $250 for the lot, knowing no more than I do right now, I would turn it down. If they offered me $500, though, I'd have to give it some thought.

If your goal is to sell them, then you need them appraised so that your idea of fair value coincides with the market. If you want to keep them, great--take good care of them. If they are in their original flips, you'll want to put them in modern flips to protect them from PVC, but don't throw away the old ones--hang onto them for the information and make sure you can connect the old flips to their successors. I don't know how much most ancients gurus would charge to appraise them, but I think it would be less than their value.

I can understand not wanting to leave them with anyone. However, that makes appraisal problematic. I suggest that you develop trust and respect for someone you can become safe leaving them with. If you want to PM me, I can perhaps name some names and make suggestions.

Hello all if still there. Took a break from all the coins but did manage to sell the ancients all together for a nice price. We had 4 people go thru them in person and got an offer on the spot for about 65% of their value. Maybe a little low but we were fine with it.  Thank you to all here. Moving on to the World Coins - all inventoried. Finding that much more difficult. Will go hang out in those posts for help.

14 hours ago, TetonJoe said:

Hello all if still there. Took a break from all the coins but did manage to sell the ancients all together for a nice price. We had 4 people go thru them in person and got an offer on the spot for about 65% of their value. Maybe a little low but we were fine with it.  Thank you to all here. Moving on to the World Coins - all inventoried. Finding that much more difficult. Will go hang out in those posts for help.

There are some good resources for ID'ing coins.  I forgot the name, but there is an app for world coins.  Plus sites like Numista (though it helps if you have an idea where to start).  If you can get a paper copy of the Krause book sometimes flipping pages helps.  The Krause also has a few introductory pages that include pictures of certain coin features that are associated with a particular country  (like a specific icon, eagle type, etc).  That said, posting a few of those good too.  And Krause can be woefully off on value (and the NGC price guide is powered by Krause).  

Like mentioned above, condition can be key.  No matter the urge, cleaning is to be avoided unless you know what you are doing (akin to the difference between washing and scrubbing).  

Maybe start a new thread with a new title too.  

15 hours ago, TetonJoe said:

Hello all if still there. Took a break from all the coins but did manage to sell the ancients all together for a nice price. We had 4 people go thru them in person and got an offer on the spot for about 65% of their value. Maybe a little low but we were fine with it. 

If you sold to a dealer, that seems like a good price, to me, since they would have to re-holder all of the coins, and probably do some research on each, and then try to make a small profit off of them. Congrats.