• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainbow penny

6 posts in this topic

Copper reacts with different substances such as sulfer, producing lots of different colors, both intentionally and naturally. Heat, vinegar and salt, and boiling with eggs are some of the ways coin doctors produce colors. Your coin could have come in contact with any number of chemicals in the course of normal use.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:13 PM, Just Bob said:

Copper reacts with different substances such as sulfer, producing lots of different colors, both intentionally and naturally. Heat, vinegar and salt, and boiling with eggs are some of the ways coin doctors produce colors. Your coin could have come in contact with any number of chemicals in the course of normal use.

Bob are you saying that it's not considered yhe same as Toning?

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Bob are you saying that it's not considered yhe same as Toning?

No, Ma'am, that is not what I meant. I was just giving examples of how it may have been caused. It is toning, but it may not be natural toning.

20 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

No, Ma'am, that is not what I meant. I was just giving examples of how it may have been caused. It is toning, but it may not be natural toning.

Stupid page won't let me like any more today. 

Ok. So toning isn't just toning. There is like environmental and chemical toning. Is there a certain way that I can tell them apart?