• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why won't NGC attribute my 1971-D Friendly Eagle Eisenhower Dollar?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm writing here because I'm having an issue with NGC regarding getting this particular Eisenhower Dollar attributed as a 1971-D Friendly Eagle variety.  When I initially sent it in, it came back to me in a cellophane bag stating that the variety was too minor to attribute.  I then contacted NGC and I was told to send the coin back to have it reexamined at no cost to me with my next submission, which I did.  Once again, it came back without the attribution on the label.  I have since reexamined the coin carefully and taken photos of the diagnostics with my digital microscope.  Everything matches up to the pictures of the Friendly Eagle variety on the Variety Plus page and it is clearly not a regular 1971-D Eisenhower Dollar.  I have included the microscope photos here for your review.  I also should note that I did pay the $15 fee to have the variety attributed on the label the first time I sent it in.  As this coin is an MS 66, there is a lot of money at stake here.  I am usually very happy with the service NGC provides....this is the first time that I've had a problem like this.

Thank you for your kind time and attention

~Tom

FEV#1.jpg

FEV#2.jpg

FEV#3.jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that the coin attribution did not meet your expectations. I confirmed with our variety expert that the coin was properly evaluated for all potential varieties on the original submission as well as on the second attempt. The $15 variety plus fee is assessed for each coin submitted for the variety service as the experts must evaluate for all potential varieties. The fee is applied even if the coin is not attributed as it is put through the evaluation process. 

Hi Matt,

I thank you for your reply, however my problem remains unsolved.  This coin is a 1971-D Friendly Eagle based on all of the features of the reverse and, for some reason, your variety expert cannot seem to see that on this coin.  Has this variety expert reviewed my microscope photos because the features are crystal clear in the photos and there is no cause for confusion.   It's very disappointing that NGC's variety expert cannot see that this coin is a Friendly Eagle, and it's an MS 66, so this situation is costing me a lot of money because NGC's lack of attribution has forced this coin into a kind of limbo.  I am not pleased with this at all and I'm gathering for your response that NGC is just done here, your expert has proclaimed that this coin is not the Friendly Eagle and I'm just stuck.  Do I have to go to the competition to get this coin properly attributed?  I really do not want to do that but as of right now NGC is not giving me a choice.  I've been a happy customer of NGC for 8 years, but now NGC is going to cost me money by not attributing a coin that is a scarce variety as that variety.  Is there anyone I can contact to discuss this situation further because I'm not pleased by this at all.

~Tom

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. Please submit the coin to NGC as a "Grader Review - Attention Dave Lange." Please also notate that you are looking for the Friendly Eagle Variety. Even though the images are very close up it is difficult to be certain if the variety can be attributed due to the glare near the eagles head. We will review the coin and attribute if deemed to be the proper variety. Thank you for your patience in this matter. 

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply to this matter.  I really do appreciate it.  I have a further question however........I was looking at NGC's services and fees, and I saw a listing for Designation Review but it said to submit varieties under Variety Plus and I didn't see a specific listing for Grader Review.  How should I go about submitting this coin for the review by Dave Lange?  I want to make sure I do it correctly so that this situation can hopefully be resolved.  I will also be sure to indicate that I am looking for the Friendly Eagle attribution as well. 

In closing, I'd like to thank you for your help on this Matt and for your patience.  I know that I sounded quite frustrated in my first reply to you and I am, but not at you at all.  It's just the situation, that's all.  You've been very helpful to me and highly professional as well.  It is noticed and greatly appreciated.

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

8 hours ago, stash-1 said:

so which friendly eagle is it .

http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=1142

I believe it's just the standard RDV-006 one.  It's an FEV, but there is no doubling, nor die cracks.  But in MS 66, a regular FEV is good enough!

4 hours ago, Matt G said:

Hi Tom,

I will send you an email shortly with submission instructions. Thank you for your patience in this matter. 

HI again Matt,

Thank you once again, very much.  I really appreciate your help on this matter.

Best Regards

~Tom

8 hours ago, stash-1 said:

Here's one I own . It Coneca DDO-001 & DDR-001 .http://varietyvista.com/13 Eisenhower Dollars/1971DDDO001.htm

It's also 1D1-301 from the Ike Group . http://www.ikegroup.info/DIVA listings/1971 D/1D1-301.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.4e8058e9a636131f1f8eb80905dee490.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1523796dd2f87eada33a7aed043e2597.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7770ef3b207fd9e2673153d4767b8a85.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c8900d523756c2492b44ee18b2da9b86.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.02b5fc9fe37c6ea1d785343654c9357a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6b14ce3b2f59db8295fc86714067b8c.jpegimage.jpeg.9478c3a9259913b922a565024189c7be.jpeg

Hi again Stash.

Nice doubling on that one!  However, I don't believe that it's an FEV.....the reverse appears to be the standard 1971-D Reverse style.

13 hours ago, stash-1 said:

Here's one of the FEV I own with a RPM .

image.thumb.jpeg.5ac7efea425532f81d6616f5c6708169.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb6f4ee0fc4e28097911008445381a9d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93110acd80da9e975717472850cefcd8.jpeg

Hi Stash,

Thanks for all of your help on this and your RPM FEV is very cool!  Mine's still just the regular old FEV...but still cool enough as it's in MS 66 and it's a piece I plan on selling.  Now I know what else to look for when I come across an FEV!

Thanks Again and Best Regards

~Tom

Late to the party but here is my latest IKE : 1971 D FEV  Coneca DDO-001, DDR-001.

Ike Group 1D1-301.

* My discovery coin is the one that I sent to DR Wiles for attribution that is listed on the Variety Vista Site*  *Charles Fantasia*

*Note the die marker chip between the T and R of TRUST* on both coins plus the huge split serifs.*

Also you can clearly see the Shuttle on the Reverse plus nice doubling on both LL in Dollar.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

DSC00047.JPG

DSC00048.JPG