• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st time Grading Submission

3 posts in this topic

Although I am excited I don't completely understand grading system. I received the following grades from PCGS and I can find some in the red book and some on NGC price Guide but it doesn't look like PCGS online price guide goes below MS level. Also 3 coins were not given a grade but said genuine ????

1921 Morgan Dollar  -- Genuine UNC Details (92-cleaned)

1923 Peace Dollar -- Genuine XF details (98 Damage)

1923 Peace Dollar -- Genuine AU details (94 - Altered Surf.)

1900-0 Morgan Dollar -- VG08

1921 Morgan Dollar -- AU58

1923 Peace Dollar -- XF45

1924 Peace Dollar -- AU55

Thanx for any help on understanding. Maybe grading isn't worth it :) 

Darryl

None of the coins that you submitted are  uncommon, so none are high dollar coins. I don't have any idea what it cost you to have those graded, but, unless silver prices go through the roof, I seriously doubt they will ever be worth the cost of having them graded. So, since this submission will be an expensive lesson, you should try to learn as much from it as you possibly can. Study the coins very closely, using different kinds of light from different angles, and using different powers of magnification. Compare your coins to pictures of coins of the same year and mint, but with higher and lower grades, so you can learn the differences. Especially study the coins that did not grade, and try to learn why they were labelled as "cleaned," "damaged," and "altered." If you do not have a grading guide, you should buy one - or even two different ones, and compare your coins to the ones in the books. Educate yourself thoroughly, and your next submission will probably turn out much better.