• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC vs. PCGS Canada 5 Cents 1922 -1936

6 posts in this topic

I decided to do an NGC Registry Set(s) of this series and have noticed that PCGS has graded 56 coins MS 66 and 4 coins MS 67, while NGC has never graded a coin of this series higher than 65.  I certainly  understand that PCGS has graded more Canada 5 cent coins and perhaps many of the better coins have gone there, but it seems more than coincidental that NGC has never had an MS66.  

Since there are very few NGC graded coins out there to improve my set, I have been purchasing PCGS coins and have started submitting them to NGC for crossover.  From my last two submissions 2 out of 5 coins I have submitted have not crossed to the same grade. This is not only frustrating, but costly since as a collector I am faced with $35 per coin fees, $8 handling and registered mail both ways for less five coins.   And since it's getting much harder to find the coins I need, I have to pay strong for PCGS coins and will take a significant loss if they do not cross and I try to sell them to recoup a portion of what I paid.  This is costly and will get worse.

So as someone who had planned on doing more registry sets, I am asking myself whether or not I want to pursue this any further  At the present time I have 2 PCGS coins I could submit for crossover, but I am wondering what to do.  

I know that nickel is very hard on dies and that the high point crown jewels and other details on the coins in this series wear quickly.  Is it possible the graders (and there can't be many) differ significantly in there grading?  Do the two companies communicate in order to be on the same page?  Can anyone shed any light on what appears to be different grading standards for the 2 companies?

Thanks,

Bob-Rob

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues crossing over your PCGS coins into NGC holders. Each coin submitted to NGC is evaluated by multiple experts who reach a consensus on the grade. While we do not actively communicate with other TPG companies regarding the Sheldon grading scale, we all use the same grading standards. Coin grading is not an exact science therefore opinions and grades can vary from grader to grader, collector to collector, and even company to company. NGC prides itself in providing an unbiased and consistent grading service for over 30 years.

Thanks for the reply.  I don't disagree with anything you mentioned,  I just wish my coins crossed over.  I don't know if anyone else has experienced crossover problems, but for me it will reduce the number of submissions I make and I'm not likely to do additional registry sets.  I'll look to purchase existing NGC coins and hope to improve the set I have.  Kind of blunts a really keen enthusiasm I had.  On the plus side, I'll probably save a ton of money.  LOL 

There have recently been some posts by world coin aficionados that have given me the impression that NGC is stricter than PCGS when it comes to world coins. That might explain why some of your coins did not cross, and also why the highest NGC grade for this series is a 65.

Given a choice, I think I would prefer a coin that was undergraded by a point  to one that would appear  to be overgraded. Put another way, I would prefer a 65 that looked like a 66 to a 67 that looked like a 66.

Thanks Bob, certainly an interesting notion.  Problem for me is that the MS 65 coins in my NGC registry set don't appear undergraded and the PCGS coins I sent in didn't appear overgraded.