• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878- CC VAM-6 in GSA HOARD?

4 posts in this topic

Hello:

I am hoping someone would be able to confirm whether this 1878-CC Morgan Silver Dollar is a VAM-6. 

I am new to collecting, but read that the second "C" on the right would be touching the bottom part of the wreath if it is a VAM-6 on the 1878-CC.

The pictures are not great unfortunately, but if someone can identify the variety based on the pictures below it would be greatly appreciated.

This coin is a part of the GSA Hoard in the original GSA Holder - I believe the VAM-6 in the GSA holder is extremely rare?

Thanks for any/all feedback!

IMG_7709.jpg

IMG_7708.jpg

Just saw this post.  Looking at the NGC Census just now, there doesn't appear to be any VAM-6 yet in GSA Hoard listings, if I was reading it right.  The CC appears close but can't quite tell.  Did you send this in for grading yet?

You need to go to vamworld and look at the diagnostics for a vam-6. There is more than just the cc touching the wreath. For instance double cotton leaves. You also need to know which reverse it has and if the arrow shaft is long or short. While you are there you can look at the other vams and see that is does not match them more closely. In the right column there is a button for vams by date.

Edited by asdfgh

Thanks for the responses....Yes after additional research and help from others, it definitely isn't a VAM 6....I was focusing on the CC'' touching, but that is not a primary indicator....there is no doubling of the leaves on the coin I have