• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a DD?

8 posts in this topic

Ok, is this a DD or not? Don't bother look for already referenced ones because it's not there.  It's probably not because the ones tgat look too obvious to me never are and the ones that are I just don't see. So this is my last attempt. I will kniw for sure what one looks like with the answer to this question. Thanks! Anyway, now I accidentally deleted the photo of the obverse and have zero idea which cent it was or where it is. Sooo...go figure.

0729180342c-1.jpg

0729180334d.jpg

0729180334a-1.jpg

Notice how the highest part of the doubled letters is skinnier than a normal letter? That is a.good sign that it is machine doubling. If it were a doubled die, it would look like a normal size letter on top of another letter, if that makes any sense.

7 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

The dies bounded just after striking, causing a tier or shelf-like affect on parts of some of the lettering.

Which is why the term "strike damage" would, technically, not be correct. It happened after the strike. That is also why some numismatic authors consider it post- mint damage.

Yes, yes. I think i finally have it all figured out. If it actually looks like a double letter it's not, and if it's fat and/or squooshy it is. Right? Now what about this one??? Boom! It's an unrecognized DD isn't it? Or else I don't hve it at all, in which case I am forced to say something about a spoon. Someone here is totally going going to get that reference if he sees it. 

0801180009a-1.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just another case of strike doubling, aka mechanical or machine doubling.

Yes, so I heard. The good thing is that now I think I'm clear on DD v/s MD. The ones that really looked like a doubled character are not DD's and the ones that look like mush are.