• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barry Goldwater Jr. and NGC Agree to Signature Label Deal

1 post in this topic

• Administrator

The former congressman and champion of individual liberty has long been interested in numismatics.

Barry Goldwater Jr., a member of the US House of Representatives from California for 14 years, has agreed to individually hand-sign certification labels exclusively for Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®). Goldwater is the son of former US Senator and 1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater.

1986_SilverEagle_1D_PF70_UltraCameo_2059
A coin with the Barry Goldwater Jr. NGC Signature Label

Serving alongside his father in Congress, Goldwater earned a reputation as a champion of individual liberty and co-authored the Privacy Act of 1974, which protected the distribution of personally identifiable information. He also served on the Space and Aviation Committee, which authorized and oversaw the Apollo 11 mission that landed the first man on the moon in July 1969.

After Goldwater retired from politics he began a successful career in business. He currently sits on the Board of Directors of the Goldwater Institute, a free-market think tank, and advocates for renewable energy.

In addition to politics and business, Goldwater has had a lifelong interest in numismatics. A longtime member of the American Numismatic Association, he placed the opening bid of $2.5 million in 2002 for King Farouk's 1933 $20 gold piece. The coin ultimately sold for a then-record price of $7.5 million in an auction in New York City.

As part of his exclusive agreement with NGC, Goldwater will individually hand-sign NGC certification labels that can be encapsulated with a variety of modern US coins, all of which proudly display the motto “Liberty” that has always resonated with Goldwater and his father.

“Throughout my time in government and the private sector, I have been a tireless champion of liberty and the Constitution,” Goldwater said. “I have also been a passionate numismatist, and I am excited to lend my energy to this initiative to promote the coin collecting hobby.”

“NGC appreciates this opportunity to partner with such a notable name in US political history and the numismatic world,” adds Steven R. Eichenbaum, CEO of NGC. “These limited-edition labels add a personal connection to a well-known and respected figure.”

Goldwater joins a diverse roster of NGC Signature Label signers, including former Congressman and Governor Mike Castle, astronaut Charlie Duke, former Mint Director Edmund C. Moy and a host of coin engravers, designers and innovators.

These Goldwater-signed NGC labels will be available from select retailers soon.