• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8 Reales Potosi help

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I apologize if this topic is in other threads that I am not seeing. If so will you please point me there.

I purchased this coin in Cuzco in 2000. I am aware that there are many counterfeits of this type and am attempting to value it. It appears to be the Pillars and Waves variety of the 8 Reales from Potosi, but the date is not making sense to me. Can someone please weigh in on it. Thank you, Nog

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

I am 99% sure your object is modern copy.  I don't have any reference books with me for comparison but the reverse design and the legend also looks wrong.  Also, look at the edge as it is far too smooth for what is normally a crudely struck coin.

Given the shape, I presume it's supposed to be a royal but these coins are either very scarce or rare.  Most are also holed and show more wear.