• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge Irregularities on high grade slabs

3 posts in this topic

I've noticed edge irregularities on some slabbed foreign gold coins and am wondering if these affect the numerical grade.

2 examples come to mind.

1) a Colombian 20 Pesos dated around 1874 in an NGC or PCGS 64 slab.  This was in an older "tightly fitted" slab which went around the whole circumference. Thus it was hard to tell if it was a mint induced flaw or a rim bang.  My guess was a significant (4-5 mm) rim bang on a coin otherwise of 64 quality. However, shouldn't the rim bang deduct from the grade?

The 2nd example was an Argentine sunface 8 Escudos of a slightly better date (1835).  I think the coin was slabbed AU-58 which was the grade without any rim bang.  This one was in the newer 4 prong holder and was clearly discernable as a rim bang.  Surpringly the coin sold by a dealer on the floor despite a very stiff asking price.

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. Our graders will take rim damage into consideration when determining the grade of a coin. Are you able to provide the certification numbers for the coins you are referring to?

Sorry for the log delay in responding.  The Colombian 20 Pesos sold at auction (not to me) some years ago.  I might be able to find the auction reference but don't know if it will include the certification #.  The other coin, the Argentine sunface 8 escudos is merely from memory & it was sold privately at a major show for I think, around $18.5K.  Thus no way to id.  I was just concerned that it seemed NGC had a policy of not accouting for, or minimizing rim bangs?

In a different issue, there was another coin which was certified by NGC as an ms-62 but was not slabbed.  It was put into some sort of sealed flexible flip. This was at the Eliasberg World Gold auction by ANR at NYC in early 2005.  The coin was also an 8 escudos, Chile, 1838, and it was described by the auctioneers as having "a removed edge mount" but was graded ms-62 by NGC.  The Chilean numistmatist Carlos Jara looked at it, and believed it was a mint produced edge flaw: which is certainly very common in these early or post Independence coins.  I bought this piece and should have the NGC certification somewhere in my records.  From this photo, it appears that I removed it from the sealed flip tho.  I specialize in collecting and studying the coinage of the early Independent Latin American nations  + Brazil tho.

Chil_8E_1838_both_800px.jpg