• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 $1 NGC MS70 Question on "Cud"

2 posts in this topic

I recently received a 2003 NGC MS70 $1 Silver Eagle and noticed a small rounded cud or better described as a smooth round protrusion on the obverse. The protrusion is on the sun and about the size of a pin-head.

I have heard several other 2003 Eagles have the "bump" in the same spot. I have a full set of NGC Eagles with two others in MS70, but none have this characteristic. What has caused this and how does this effect the value. Super looking coin and really not distracting, kind of interesting. Any info on this anomoly would be greatly appreciated. Maybe John Maben or Rick M. could comment on this from a numismatic perspective. Thanks. Tom G.

Tom,

We have noticed this surface anomaly on quite a few 2003 Silver Eagles and have determined that the effect is the result of the minting process. It has appeared so often that we feel it is a die anomaly rather than the usual struck through. Because it is obviously mint caused, it does not impact the grade in this instance. Like you noted, it is not distracting, but rather interesting.

Should the defect had been much larger, even mint caused, it might have limited the upper grade to 69, but because it is as small as it is, the grade of 70 can and is appropriate for this sort of defect.

Thanks for your question.

Rick