• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver 1993-d penny and weird looking penny

2 posts in this topic

I found to pennies the other day and they grab my eye and I been researching coins and value of them now I'm hooked can anyone tell me if i have something here or am I wasting time with these 2 and should move on

1527701777627-1091798437.jpg

15277018230991762328054.jpg

1527701861754-1217085190.jpg

Your 1993 D has most likely been plated after it left the mint.  It is too large to be struck on a dime planchet.  Sometimes it is possible for a zinc planchet to miss the copper plating process but such a coin when struck shows the same full cartwheel luster as a regular coin.  Such luster typically does not survive on a copper plated cent that has been then plated with a silver colored metal.  You coin does not appear to show luster from striking.  It is also possible to strip the copper plating off a regular cent but that leaves the surface dull and rough.

I see nothing special about the 1968 D other than it is in nice condition and may have a "clogged D" from the center post that forms the center of the D having chipped off the die.  Clogged D mintmarks are not that unusual and do not command a premium.