• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speading LIBERTY?

9 posts in this topic

Can someone talk to me about spreading please? I think I know what it means, but am wanting to explainit to someone else and I can't find the words. I'm sure I've seen references in articles but can't find any google reference except about the eagles wings and the spread sister's of Sacajawonkie. Lol!

I am not familiar with the term. Can you be a little more specific, or cite an example?

(I think I know the Spread Sisters Of Sacajawonkie, though. Didn't they do that song called "You May Not Like My Muffins, But You Should See My Jelly Roll?") :)

Spread can refer to the expansion of a master hub, a hub , or even a die through overuse, it can refer to the separation between images on a doubled die, and it may even refer to the increasing distance between design elements caused by polishing of the die.  We need more specifics.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:42 AM, Just Bob said:

I am not familiar with the term. Can you be a little more specific, or cite an example?

(I think I know the Spread Sisters Of Sacajawonkie, though. Didn't they do that song called "You May Not Like My Muffins, But You Should See My Jelly Roll?") :)

On 5/26/2018 at 8:42 AM, Just Bob said:

No Bob, idh an example. I'm sure it has something to do with lettering, but I am having trouble finding the words to describe what I think it means. Someon said it has to do with doubling and how for the double goes, but I think it's more...like when the letters kind of sliiiide see, like how a broad strike would make the characters slide-at least the definition I have says it does-across the coin. But only the letters, not the design. So the letters are like spread across a wider area. See, I told you I'm having trouble. Let's see what Condor says.

20 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Spread can refer to the expansion of a master hub, a hub , or even a die through overuse, it can refer to the separation between images on a doubled die, and it may even refer to the increasing distance between design elements caused by polishing of the die.  We need more specifics.

Well Condor, dangit. Ok, think of the USOA on top of a quarter. Ok got it? Now suppose the tops of each letter at the collar, were either teensy thin or extra wide. What is that called?

24 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

No Bob, idh an example. I'm sure it has something to do with lettering, but I am having trouble finding the words to describe what I think it means. Someon said it has to do with doubling and how for the double goes, but I think it's more...like when the letters kind of sliiiide see, like how a broad strike would make the characters slide-at least the definition I have says it does-across the coin. But only the letters, not the design. So the letters are like spread across a wider area. See, I told you I'm having trouble. Let's see what Condor says.

Shame on you, Bob. Ima remember that one though.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:35 AM, Conder101 said:

They talk aboutit here and also in Wexler's.

http://varietyvista.com/Variety Master Listings/lincoln doubled dies 1970-1979.htm

OK they are taking about the separation of the images on a doubled die.  The distance between the images is the "spread" unfortunately they never quantify their terms.  Many times I will see them say  a particular DDO shows a "nice spread" when the pictures show barely any separation at all, and then they will use the same term on a ddo that does show considerable separation.  Unfortunately in order to quantify the spread you would need clear sharp images that can be enlarged to a known specific scale and then the distance between the images actually measured.  Nice for creating references, but not real helpful in the real world.  Better would be a set of reference images each with a different amount of spread that could be catagorized.  Then you could compare you coin to the images and say something like "Spread on the ATES rates a III+" and someone with the reference images would know the separation Is greater than that shown on image III but less than on IV.  Even if you didn't have an image of the specific DDO, you would still know how much separation you should be looking for.