• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 D Lincoln error penny

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

My name is Kristi and I am very new at the collection and I have already came to a stop. I can't find what kind of errors that are on the cent, I have looked all over the internet for error types and value. Please help Lol! Thanks!

Picture_20185924065943.jpg

Picture_20185624065639.jpg

I know this is not much help, but that's really odd. I've never seen that before. Looking forward to the answers myself.

Well, look at me gonna know something JKK doesn't?! (And I'll probably be wrong)   The way a Strike Thru was explained to me is that it's like when a piece of debris, be it dirt or a piece of straw or anything not supposed to be there somehow makes it's way into the coin and winds up looking like a fossil. So I say it's a Strike Thru.

8 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Well, look at me gonna know something JKK doesn't?! (And I'll probably be wrong)   The way a Strike Thru was explained to me is that it's like when a piece of debris, be it dirt or a piece of straw or anything not supposed to be there somehow makes it's way into the coin and winds up looking like a fossil. So I say it's a Strike Thru.

The weird thing is the seemingly perfect alignment of the flaw's arc with that of the coin's edge. Not an offset mirror of it, either, but the beginning of a perfect concentric ring. No random piece of anything, without mechanical assistance, could line up so perfectly; astronomical odds.

Wow....that IS weird.  I really have no idea what could cause something like that to happen in that way.....it's like a cud, but under the lettering.  Definitely strange.  I'll be interested to see what the community has to say on this one!

On 5/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, JKK said:

The weird thing is the seemingly perfect alignment of the flaw's arc with that of the coin's edge. Not an offset mirror of it, either, but the beginning of a perfect concentric ring. No random piece of anything, without mechanical assistance, could line up so perfectly; astronomical odds.

Yes, that is odd. Let's see what Tom has to say.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:54 PM, Mohawk said:

Wow....that IS weird.  I really have no idea what could cause something like that to happen in that way.....it's like a cud, but under the lettering.  Definitely strange.  I'll be interested to see what the community has to say on this one!

Overall bad composition? Really? Lol!

Yes, indeed.....overall bad composition.  I wrote the post immediately after working on a paper for my current class and my brain was fried......what I originally wrote was terrible!  So, I fixed it up.  :)

This was posted elsewhere and as I said there it looks like the rev has some "stuff" all over it.  Try an acetone soak and see if the anomaly doesn't go away.