• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading

6 posts in this topic

if i submit a coin for grading what does that include? do they check for mint errors like 0 over c or 7/8 tail feathers or do you have to request this and pay extra? Sorry for the dumb questions but i'm just getting into collecting at 75 yrs old. Also i have decided i want to collect only graded coins in a slab. Any suggestion ?

I don't know anything about what you get if you submit a coin, but I can opine a little about the choice to collect only slabbed coins. That is your right, of course, and no judgment on how anyone collects--but that will mean that some relatively collectible coins that are just not valuable enough to slab will then either not be in your world of options, or they will but you might be spending $20 to slab a $6 coin. It could at times be like using a .45 to kill flies, if that makes sense.

My thinking: if the reason for collecting only slabs is that you're worried about getting taken to the cleaners by sharpies who know more about the coins than you do, I totally get that, but it's also a reason to build up your own knowledge and develop good relationships with reputable sellers. If the all-slabs reasoning is more about display, or that you simply don't want to learn the grading and varietal stuff, fair enough; though in the latter case it would seem you might be missing one of the hobby's most engrossing aspects.

As always, collect what and how you enjoy most, but since you mentioned you were new, I thought I'd shine a flashlight on some of the corners and nooks that might not be obvious at first glance.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC does some varieties for free, while others require a $15 fee in addition to the cost of grading. You can find a complete listing of all eligible varieties and whether or not a fee is required here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/

21 hours ago, JKK said:

I don't know anything about what you get if you submit a coin, but I can opine a little about the choice to collect only slabbed coins. That is your right, of course, and no judgment on how anyone collects--but that will mean that some relatively collectible coins that are just not valuable enough to slab will then either not be in your world of options, or they will but you might be spending $20 to slab a $6 coin. It could at times be like using a .45 to kill flies, if that makes sense.

My thinking: if the reason for collecting only slabs is that you're worried about getting taken to the cleaners by sharpies who know more about the coins than you do, I totally get that, but it's also a reason to build up your own knowledge and develop good relationships with reputable sellers. If the all-slabs reasoning is more about display, or that you simply don't want to learn the grading and varietal stuff, fair enough; though in the latter case it would seem you might be missing one of the hobby's most engrossing aspects.

As always, collect what and how you enjoy most, but since you mentioned you were new, I thought I'd shine a flashlight on some of the corners and nooks that might not be obvious at first glance.

thanks a load you pointed out some things i never thought about.  I am in process of gathering a Morgan Dollar collection and so far have only bought NGC MS 60 or higher and never paid more than 70% of Red Book. Also have found some bargains not certified. again thanks

36 minutes ago, toml7 said:

thanks a load you pointed out some things i never thought about.  I am in process of gathering a Morgan Dollar collection and so far have only bought NGC MS 60 or higher and never paid more than 70% of Red Book. Also have found some bargains not certified. again thanks

Looking forward to seeing pics of those Morgans. (thumbsu