• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sunlight and toning

7 posts in this topic

Does natural sunlight affect toning on 90% silver coins? I have some dipped coins in my 9090 that I would prefer some toning...I know about the "taco bell" and smoke method, but wondering what if any effects exposure to direct sunlight might have.  Thanks. 

It is my impression that prolonged exposure to sunlight will tone a silver coin. Question 1 is, will you like it? Question 2 is "how do you get it even on both sides?

I would think you'd still need a source for out gassing, such as a sulfide contained in certain papers/card board/wood on or near the coin for acceleration in your lifetime. The sunlight would provide the heat to accelerate that process. Would a silver coin in a bell jar filled with inert gases sitting in direct sunlight tone? I don't know.

The only way sunlight is going to speed up toning is by making the coin warmer unless you are able to get a silver coin to react with chlorine or nitrates.  Many silver compounds are light sensitive especially silver halides but I don't believe silver sulfide is. (most tarnish is silver sulfide)  Silver sulfide is already black, the toning colors come from thin film interference.

Light is a form of energy and energy promotes chemical reactions which create the visible changes we call tarnish or toning. The OP can take it from there.... :)

The sunlight will accelerate toning because the heat makes the toning process go faster. It isn't "sunlight" that is doing it - any heat source will have the same effect.