• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint names versus NGC names

4 posts in this topic

Does it decrease the future value of a coin if NGC has used a different name than the Mint which produced it?   Recently NCG labeled several of my Canadian coins with names not used by the Royal Canadian Mint.  It was not a matter of shortening the name to fit on the label.  I'm worried that when my daughter or granddaughter goes to sell them, buyers will think they are not genuine RCM coins.

2011 and 2012 S$5 four coin series: 1) the RMC COA has "Full Wolf Moon", NGC says "Full Moon and Wolf".  2) RMC COA has "Full Hunter's Moon", NGC says "Hunter's Moon".  3) NGC correctly used "Full Pink Moon".  4) NGC correctly used "Full Buck Moon".

2014 G$5; the RMC COA has "Legend of Nanaboozhoo",  NGC says "Portrait of Nanaboozhoo".

2006, 2007, 2008 G$1 three coin series; 1) the RMC COA has "Gold Louis (or Louis d'or in French) on each coin, NGC said "Maple Leaf Louis d'or".  When I sent a second 2007 coin it came back with just "Louis d'or".  

I save the COAs to prove authenticity, maybe that's enough.

Hello,

Maybe I can help.  I, too, collect a lot of Canadian coins and have had a lot of them graded by NGC.  I've found that collectors and dealers know the coins by either the RCM name or the NGC name.  You should be just fine :)

Cheers!

~Tom