• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-submitting coins after 10 years

4 posts in this topic

Is everybody familiar with the following exclusion, I guess it would be called, from NGC? This was just brought to my attention today by a fellow collector. I have many questions about this. So I need to re-submit certain coins before 10 years is up or they are now considered "raw"? Am I reading this correctly. Please help this newbie. Thanks!

Copper Coins Notice: Coins made of copper, bronze, brass or are copper-plated can change over time. Accordingly, with regard to copper, bronze, brass or copper-plated coins graded by NGC, the grade portion will no longer apply after the 10 year anniversary of their date of encapsulation by NGC. This coin was encapsulated on 3/5/2018 and the grade guarantee will expire on 3/5/2028. If the grade guarantee has not expired, it may be extended by submitting the coin under NGC's ReHolder service tier. If the grade guarantee has expired, the coin will be treated as a raw (ungraded) submission if resubmitted to NGC.

• Administrator
Thank you for your question. Copper, bronze, brass, and copper-plated coin surfaces have a tendency to change over time. Per the NGC policy, we guarantee the grade and color attribution for 10 years from the encapsulation date. If the coin is approved by the graders for a reholder within the 10 year time frame, the NGC guarantee will be extended an additional 10 years from the most recent encapsulation date. If NGC is not able to reholder the coin, a representative will contact the customer. 

If the coin is submitted after the 10 year anniversary, the guarantee will expire and it will treated as a raw (ungraded) submission. The 10 year guarantee would begin from the new encapsulation date. 

I have copied the link to our full guarantee below as a reference. 

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. If a coin is submitted for the reholder service within the 10 year period and our experts approve the reholder, you will keep the special label but will lose the CAC sticker. The 10 year guarantee will start from the new encapsulation date and you can submit the coin to CAC for a new sticker. Please note that the certification number will not change when using the reholder service.

If a coin is submitted for the reholder service and it is rejected by our experts, we will return the coin to you in its original holder and the gaurantee will expire at the end of the original 10 year time frame.