• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1977 Lincoln pennies made of odd material

3 posts in this topic

Hello my name is Jackie and I recently purchased some coins at an auction and received two Lincoln pennies from the year 1977 that are made of a strange odd metal. I'm wondering if anyone could identify he's coins or error or whatever just any information would be great. By the way, they are non-magnetic.

20180503_102426~2.jpg

Why do you say "made of a strange odd metal"?  Did you weigh them?  Can't get a good idea of color off your photo but my guess is they're plated.  This was done after they left the mint and are therefore not error coins.

You can run a search on Ebay for plated Lincoln cents and will find similar coins.

Not all odd material but I guess I'd material for a Lincoln cent in 1977. It actually looks like a dime. Super shiny. The edges are silver in color. There's no sign of copper. I will weigh it and I will also try to send better pictures from the side view from every view. They are splendid and beautiful I just have never seen them before.