• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JNDA Certification of Authenticity, is a photo okay

2 posts in this topic

Side question, if a coin is sent for conservation, is it evaluated for authenticity first?  

What got me thinking is this coin..it looks like it may benefit but it happens to come with a JNDA photo cert as genuine.  (A common looking coin but an extremely UNcommon date, hence the JNDA involvement).  I'd like to send it in to make sure those surfaces are stable, but would photos of the JNDA folder be acceptable? 

It's not 'mint packaging' to be returned like for a standard NGC submission, and I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY hate to lose the originals going through the NCS/NGC process.  But, if I sent it to NCS first and had it returned, then the JNDA cert may look a bit different from the coin if/when sent to NGC.

combo.jpg

folder.jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Coins are evaluated for authenticity before performing conservation services. In some rare cases where there is heavy corrosion, it may not be possible to determine the authenticity until the residue is removed.

NGC does not require the original certificate or photos in order to authenticate and grade coins. If you would like to submit documentation along with the coins please retain the original for your records and provide NGC with a copy.