• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can we ask general variety questions here?

7 posts in this topic

I sure hope so, as I have 2.

1)I found a site titled 'variety vista' today, maybe one of you is familiar with it.  I am wondering, say I'm looking at a 1924 Wheat Cent. I look under DDR Listings and find the photo of the E PL that looks the same as mine. Ok. Then if I click that photo link it takes me to more photos. Are these photos representing how the rest of my coin should look if I have the variety that is shown? Does that make sense at all to you guys? It does inside my head. Lol! Sometimes I'm not real clear.

2) How do I mark a BESTANSWER in this forum/chat?

Thanks so much. I sure do appreciate you all.

1) Yes, it makes sense. What kind of answer you get depends on who either knows the heck out of the knowing, or who is willing to do the research for fun. For example, if it's Roman or Greek, that's where the latter applies to me. For American errors, I stay in my lane (the slow lane).

2) No idea. I assume that there is no consistent way and that getting marked as a best answer is just random luck. But then again, my faith in institutions in all forms is rare, precarious, fragile, and impossible to restore once lost, so you should factor those biases.

I'm just glad you're finding it helpful here. We do try (speaking for the hobby as a whole). We want you to have a good time and get fair value.

9 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I sure hope so, as I have 2.

1)I found a site titled 'variety vista' today, maybe one of you is familiar with it.  I am wondering, say I'm looking at a 1924 Wheat Cent. I look under DDR Listings and find the photo of the E PL that looks the same as mine. Ok. Then if I click that photo link it takes me to more photos. Are these photos representing how the rest of my coin should look if I have the variety that is shown? Does that make sense at all to you guys? It does inside my head. Lol! Sometimes I'm not real clear.

2) How do I mark a BESTANSWER in this forum/chat?

Thanks so much. I sure do appreciate you all.

1) The additional photos that you see on Variety Vista are indeed the rest of the coin in question, showing the different areas of doubling in close-ups. They are also divided into stages A, B, and C, representing early, middle, and late die states, if those pictures are available. It is a good site for doubled dies, and also mint mark and design varieties. You may also like error-ref.com

2) If you like an answer, there is an arrow to the left of the poster's name (top left of the post) which you can use to vote for that answer. It is supposed to move that answer up in the list, in order for readers to see it first. I am not crazy about this feature, preferring to read answers in chronological order.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

VarietyVista is excellent. James Wiles manages it, and he's quite knowledgeable.Don't forget, too, about NGC's own VarietyPlus: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/

It's not as comprehensive as VarietyVista, but it does show the varieties that NGC will certify.

13 hours ago, JKK said:

1) Yes, it makes sense. What kind of answer you get depends on who either knows the heck out of the knowing, or who is willing to do the research for fun. For example, if it's Roman or Greek, that's where the latter applies to me. For American errors, I stay in my lane (the slow lane).

2) No idea. I assume that there is no consistent way and that getting marked as a best answer is just random luck. But then again, my faith in institutions in all forms is rare, precarious, fragile, and impossible to restore once lost, so you should factor those biases.

I'm just glad you're finding it helpful here. We do try (speaking for the hobby as a whole). We want you to have a good time and get fair value.

Lol! You're always good to give me a smile. Thanks for that as I sure do need sometimes.

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

1) The additional photos that you see on Variety Vista are indeed the rest of the coin in question, showing the different areas of doubling in close-ups. They are also divided into stages A, B, and C, representing early, middle, and late die states, if those pictures are available. It is a good site for doubled dies, and also mint mark and design varieties. You may also like error-ref.com

2) If you like an answer, there is an arrow to the left of the poster's name (top left of the post) which you can use to vote for that answer. It is supposed to move that answer up in the list, in order for readers to see it first. I am not crazy about this feature, preferring to read answers in chronological order.

So what you're saying, Just Bob, is that if my coin has one of the defects shown then it should look like most or all of the rest of the coin within that A, B, or C photos shown, so that way I can know for certain that I have that variety? Again, I'm probably over explaining or whatever, just to ensure that I have it straight. Thanks for the link to the other site.

I agree about the best answer deal, but some people probably like the notoriety, but I would not like picking one over another. Except it seems that what I have asked about isn't getting moved along because I haven't given the best answer status to them. See? I guess that's ok though?

7 hours ago, DWLange said:

VarietyVista is excellent. James Wiles manages it, and he's quite knowledgeable.Don't forget, too, about NGC's own VarietyPlus: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/

It's not as comprehensive as VarietyVista, but it does show the varieties that NGC will certify.

Hi DWLange. Nice to meet ya. I did find the site very useful, as long as I was interpreting the information correctly. I do hope I am because I've been through my Wheat Cents 5x already due to finding new sites that seems better than the last all the time and starting over again. I should be a pro before it's all said and done.

Honestly, I do not know about NGC's variety site, but probably because I admit to finding the site very hard to navigate. I am just now able to find my way to this forum without getting lost. Smh. But I'm not real great with online navigation, but am getting better. Practice makes perfect and all that.