• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on mount removed coins

3 posts in this topic

This is my first post here.  I recently purchased a beautiful 1812 $5.00 Draped Bust gold coin NGC graded XF-45 " Mount Removed".  To my naked eye, it is impossible to identify any imperfections which resulted in it being judged a details coin.  I was simply curious if others are as interested as me in purchasing such rare detailed coins. Thanks!

It all depends upon the cost of the coin. A details coin with amount removed is going to bring considerably less than a problem free coin. On the other hand an 1812  half eagle is a tough enough coin, and expensive enough, that even the details piece will be desirable. There's a lot of collectors who would like to have one, who can't afford a problem free piece. So there's definitely a market for it. Personally, I can't even afford a details piece.

I have bought a few "details" graded coins, HT tokens, etc., for the sole purpose of cracking them out and carrying them around in my pocket, or handling them without having to worry about ruining them with fingerprints or scratches. Nothing rare or terribly expensive, though,  just little pieces of history.