• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 D small date penny

6 posts in this topic

From NGC Coin Explorer:

The 1982 D small and large date copper plated zinc coins weigh 2.5 grams

The 1982 D large date bronze cent weighs 3.11 grams.

Those have a tolerance of +/- .13 grams, according to Conder101.

If, on the very slim chance you have found what NGC calls a transitional 1982 D small date bronze, it would also weigh 3.11 grams, I assume. So far, only one is known to exist. That is the reason for all of the hype surrounding this cent.

So, only the 1982 D small date bronze (not zinc) is the rarity.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Just Bob...

Thanks, for the response. I am unsure as to how I can reply to you so put it here... I just wanted to say that I have found a true 1982 D small date penny. I didn't believe it myself.if you want I will send you photos of it sitting on my scale. I am quite new to this and I am glad that there are people such as yourself to assist me with this new hobby.... once again thank you

No she has it right the obvious first step is to post pictures. You wouldn't believe the number of "small dates" that get reported on the forums which when pictures are posted turn out to be large dates. If we can confirm that it is a small date, and that it does weigh 3 g or more, THEN it will be worth the money to send in for certification.

18 hours ago, Conder101 said:

No she has it right the obvious first step is to post pictures. You wouldn't believe the number of "small dates" that get reported on the forums which when pictures are posted turn out to be large dates. If we can confirm that it is a small date, and that it does weigh 3 g or more, THEN it will be worth the money to send in for certification.

In any other situation, I would have responded exactly like that. In fact, I typed it, but then changed my mind. Something about the way the OP responded, and the fact that he wanted to talk to me, and send pictures to me - not post them here - sent up a red flag. It seemed to me as if he were trying to play on someone's greed, mine in particular, to perhaps get a quick offer on his coin. So, instead of responding with advice, I responded with more of a challenge: put your money where your mouth is.

Maybe I am just too cynical. Maybe all of the other recent posts of offers to sell obvious fakes

LIKE THIS ONE

have gotten me a bit jaded.

If it turns out that I am wrong, I will happily apologize to the OP. I hope for his sake that he has found #2. Until then, I will remain skeptical.