• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1814 Bust Dime

6 posts in this topic

Large date. It looks to me like an EF-40, maybe 45. According to my most recent Coin Values mag, that would put it at $650 (to the extent that people pay those prices, which they might for a slab). Doesn't look damaged or badly cleaned in the picture. It might be a good slab candidate, so I'd guardedly say yes. Nice piece.

I found it in a building in the floor that was built in 1814! There really isn’t any scratches either on it. Ive also compared it to others like a ms65 ngc graded coin and this coin looks as good. Here it is. 

B6F76ABB-E381-4947-ABC7-CCCCD17638CE.png

52 minutes ago, Lucky711 said:

I found it in a building in the floor that was built in 1814! There really isn’t any scratches either on it. Ive also compared it to others like a ms65 ngc graded coin and this coin looks as good. 

I don't see it getting MS-65 in any grading universe I've ever inhabited, but it's a very nice and valuable piece. You can clearly see the wear on the high points, but it is not deep enough to cost much detail. The question would be how much mint luster the graders detect. According to my grading guide, a little is optional for 40, but necessary for 45. Great find.

looks fake....

If there is a black ring close to the rim it could easily be a fake...

I recommend not to grade it...

Not to take the risk.to test if it is silver hit it against some metal ...And then take a clad coin and doing the same thing..

silver should have a lighter ring.