• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1927-D Peace Dollar - to grade, or not to grade ... that is the question !!!

6 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share one more coin.  (then ill stop posting, i promise).  This is a 1927-D Peace Dollar in pretty good condition.  I recently inherited around 140 Morgans & Peace dollars and so far i think i like this one the most <3

Now what the heck am i gonna do with the rest of them !!???!!!

IMG_1330.PNG.a406f30c3f43fcaef00e51da7a631ca8.PNG

IMG_1332.PNG.b2b503306ff80554b4875da0475251ee.PNG

IMG_1333.thumb.PNG.eb00ea339be23108c18925d8c208bb1e.PNG

Based on the image, I definitely wouldn't. I see a moderate amount of good surviving detail, and a deep-looking strike (often an issue with Peace dollars; imagine a rimless coin because the die didn't sink in deeply enough to create any rim at all), but not uncirculated and not with such eye appeal as to merit long-term protection.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions, so don't feel like you should stop posting. 

That is quite a lot of silver to receive at one time. I'm not sure that "congratulations" is the right word in this case, since an inheritance usually involves the death of a loved one, so I will just say "welcome to the forum, and keep on seeking advice when you need it."

I have always considered the Peace design to be one of the better ones. Lady Liberty actually looks feminine, and the eagle looks majestic, and not anemic.

JKK - Once again, your the man.  Appreciate it !!

Just Bob - You choose you words very wisely ... and you hit the nail on the head, so nicely done.  I actually also have about 200 other coins, including barber dimes, barber quarters, barber half dollars, large once cent pieces, liberty head nickels, indian head pennys, etc, but if this Peace dollar isn't really worth grading, i doubt any of the other ones would be either. But thanks for making me feel welcome in the forum.  It actually surprised me because this is really a great site !!  

11 hours ago, TheJDub said:

Now what the heck am i gonna do with the rest of them !!???!!!

There are members here who would look through and pick out the best dates to possibly have graded, maybe keep some for posterity, and sell the rest for a quick profit. Others would spend the next month surrounded by coins, guide books, laptop, pad and pen,  and other accoutrements, studying each coin with a loupe and looking for doubled dies, repunched mintmarks, and attributing all of the various die marriages, VAMs, etc. Either is fine, or anything in between. This is a fun, addictive hobby, and I hope you enjoy it.

9 hours ago, TheJDub said:

JKK - Once again, your the man.  Appreciate it !!

Glad to help. That is what this forum is here for. We can't gain from discouraging coin collecting, after all.

What might surprise you, as yet to be discovered, is the sheer breadth of it. I'm mostly a world and ancients guy, but I do have a US collection. Some people collect mostly errors; one guy in our club collects elongated coins (smashed by a machine into elliptical shapes). Some collect only crown size silver, into which rough category Morgans and Peaces (arguably) fit; yet others collect only Morgans. Another guy in our club cannot bear any Morgan that is less than MS-65. Another has an amazing collection of very rare presidential campaign tokens back into, I think, the 1840s. Some collect not coins but paper currency.

What I'm saying is that if you wanted to turn this into a collection, it'd be perfectly legit to start where you are. You would not be less of a numismatist if you never acquired any other coin type. We mostly generalize but we also mostly specialize. Your local coin club is likely to be a great resource (as you can see from above, I consider mine to be): a place to meet other collectors, get different opinions and guidance, and join in activities. What you see here is much like what you could anticipate from most coin clubs. If you need help finding a local one, fire me a PM with your locality.