• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof silver quarter errors

3 posts in this topic

In the case of silver state quarters I opened most of the South Carolina silver quarters share the same doubling it's very much not what I would expect from proof sets what kind of doubling is it thanks again for all the help 

IMG_20180301_015030579.jpg

IMG_20180301_014121735.jpg

IMG_20180301_013555003.jpg

IMG_20180301_005128622.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That appears to be simply strike doubling, which is not a variety and carries no premium, but the photos aren't clear enough to be absolutely certain.

I agree it looks like mechanical doubling. OP, here's what to look for: a true double die is the result of an error in making that die. Every coin it strikes will show the doubling effect, which will be more extreme at one point on the coin and then fading toward its opposite side. Mechanical doubling happens when the planchet moves during striking, for whatever reason. I'm not sure if proof coins are struck twice nowadays or not, but that seems to me to offer a lot of potential for a mechanical doubling.

Thus, with a double die, you look for a second truly raised ghosting image of devices. Mechanical doubling means a sort of shelfy shadow, not raised, of the coin's devices. If you find a good image of the famous 1955 double die Linc, you will be able to see the difference--especially on the date, which IIRC is at the part of that coin where the divergence from proper centering is greatest (more sophisticated analysts than me could look at the coin and tell you how far the die was misaligned relative to the hub, and in what direction).