• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double die proof

8 posts in this topic

I don't think it's doubling. What I think is that somehow the copper plating scraped off the surface above the lettering, baring the zinc. I am not exactly sure how this was caused, but the fact that it happens just outside of lettering along an edge is significant. I'm not even sure it necessarily happened at the mint.

57 minutes ago, JKK said:

I don't think it's doubling. What I think is that somehow the copper plating scraped off the surface above the lettering, baring the zinc. I am not exactly sure how this was caused, but the fact that it happens just outside of lettering along an edge is significant. I'm not even sure it necessarily happened at the mint.

Here is a picture of the doubling on the roof and has the zinc showing above that also 

The coin is still in the original mint case 

IMG_20180228_102600696.jpg

12 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Split plating "doubling".

Thanks condor split plating does match the zinc peeling on top of the letters 

However I haven't got a good picture of the doubling yet but I will post when I can get a good one 

3 hours ago, Makesnocents said:

Thanks condor split plating does match the zinc peeling on top of the letters 

However I haven't got a good picture of the doubling yet but I will post when I can get a good one 

Yeah the entire case of proofs shows the split plate doubling on the 1c pretty disappointed that is proof  but only 1 shows doubled roof