• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned Proof, PL, or ???

7 posts in this topic

Recently picked this up.  Full PL surfaces, but plenty of hairlines with some moderate retoning.  I don't think it is a proof, but appreciate opinions from others.  Photos are unedited.  Photos with flash show PL whereas non-flash does not show the surface PL.

Thanks for looking.

RIMG0063.JPG

RIMG0064.JPG

RIMG0066.JPG

RIMG0067.JPG

RIMG0071.JPG

RIMG0061.JPG

RIMG0062.JPG

RIMG0065.JPG

RIMG0069.JPG

RIMG0070.JPG

There are a couple of easy tell-tale signs that show this was cleaned: 

The first and most obvious is the "halo" effect around all the devices (it's especially noticeable on the reverse). It was polished, and whatever was doing the polishing couldn't get into the tight crevices. Whenever you see that halo effect, your first thought should always be cleaned. 

The second is the character of the fields in your shots showing reflectivity. A proof coin should have perfectly smooth surfaces, and the reflection is going to be "watery." Think of your reflection in a pool of water on a perfectly still, calm day. A prooflike coin is going to show luster, but the surfaces won't usually be as watery as the proof coin. There may be some die polish lines from the mint - they would polish the dies, giving it that prooflike reflectivity. 

Unfortunately, the surfaces here show a rough, lusterless look. This looks like someone used some sort of jeweler's polish, or maybe baking soda, and scrubbed the coin. I don't see hairlines from a brush, and I don't see evidence of whizzing - but polishing is going to be just as bad. 

In hand the surfaces are prooflike.  I am sure it was cleaned at one time, but I don't think too harshly.  Tough to capture the PL surfaces with my cameraRIMG0078.thumb.JPG.9a98381427a0d82d6e680647c468b87a.JPG.  Here are a couple additional photos.

RIMG0082.JPG