• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black mark on on 1880-s NGC graded MS62 Morgan?

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, am a NGC member but new to the chat boards. I own a 1880-s NGC graded MS 62 that has a black streak on the obv. A picture can be seen using # 4512159-001 on NGC's verify certification page. My questions are, 

1. What is and what caused this mark?

2. Would NCS be able to remove this with their conservation methods?

3. Does this coin appear to have had it's grade lowered by two points because of the black mark?

I ask because I also have a raw 1881-s that looks MS 65 with a very similar mark on her jaw. If conservation can't remove the mark I don't think I will have it slabbed. Any thoughts on cause, mark removal or grade on the NGC graded 1880-s appreciated. Thanks.

Certification has been corrected 2/26/18 @ 8:05 AM PT

On 2/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, Bob_1950 said:

1. What is and what caused this mark?

2. Would NCS be able to remove this with their conservation methods?

3. Does this coin appear to have had it's grade lowered by two points because of the black mark?

1. I don't know what causes the mark but I have seen it on other silver dollars.
2. I don't know if in the NCS can remove it or not, they may be able to lighten it.
3. No I think the MS 62 grade is justified. The cheek and field are severely marked up, and that would keep it from a higher grade. IMHO

It looks like grease. I don't think it affected the grade. Similar grease on wing on my previous 1881-S MS66*.

After looking at your coin, it looks like the grade is almost spot on.. perhaps MS62+ or *, my opinion.

99f61e89-fdd9-436f-b762-4733f2906689_zps