• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Struck through fabric

23 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Makesnocents said:

I have a 1942 uncirculated wheat penny which appears to be struck through a sack 100% of the coin shows the thread pattern the coin is in great shape has a matte like finish should I have the coin graded 

You should not ask any question about any particular coin's handling or value without posting clear pictures of it, front and back. No one can give even a somewhat educated opinion without them.

28 minutes ago, JKK said:

You should not ask any question about any coin without posting clear pictures of it, front and back. No one can give even a somewhat educated opinion without them.

Well I don't have 2 of them so I can't give you my 2 cents 😉 

My internet isn't the best so uploads not always possible when a photo uploads I'll be sure to post one 

28 minutes ago, JKK said:

You should not ask any question about any coin without posting clear pictures of it, front and back. No one can give even a somewhat educated opinion without them.

My internet isn't the best so uploads not always possible when a photo uploads I'll be sure to post one 

4 minutes ago, Makesnocents said:

My internet isn't the best so uploads not always possible when a photo uploads I'll be sure to post one imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

People really want to help, but in the end it will come down to the images. Maybe there's a better way than what you are using. Also, maybe your photos are such large data files that it's causing issues. Every new .jpg I scan, I run through Irfanview just to get the file shrunk to a less porko size.

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

People really want to help, but in the end it will come down to the images. Maybe there's a better way than what you are using. Also, maybe your photos are such large data files that it's causing issues. Every new .jpg I scan, I run through Irfanview just to get the file shrunk to a less porko size.

Yeah I have a phone no computer 

There we go. When you say you see cloth texturing, I have to say the photo doesn't reflect that in any way I can see. I definitely see a granular pattern, but no evidence that would tell me why the coin was that way. The toning looks rather interesting. I'm not sure you'd recoup the value of sending it in for slabbing.

The coins lines are hard to photo all at once on my phone  but they cover the entire coin and are equally spaced running diagonally from rim to rim with out a break over Lincoln, letters and numbers  jkk your right the color is something to see which is making me think that this is possibly a strike through Emery cloth which would explain the color the matte finish and the visible 150 thread imprints 

4 hours ago, Makesnocents said:

The coins lines are hard to photo all at once on my phone  but they cover the entire coin and are equally spaced running diagonally from rim to rim with out a break over Lincoln, letters and numbers  jkk your right the color is something to see which is making me think that this is possibly a strike through Emery cloth which would explain the color the matte finish and the visible 150 thread imprints 

Okay. I'm not certain of the cloth explanation, but I see where it comes from, and I agree that it's plausible. I looked at some pics of coins known to be struck through cloth, and discussions about such. Most of those attributed as struck through cloth showed the cloth pattern more readily than yours (i.e. didn't take magnification to see it). Whether emery cloth could create that effect I do not know.

4 hours ago, JKK said:

Okay. I'm not certain of the cloth explanation, but I see where it comes from, and I agree that it's plausible. I looked at some pics of coins known to be struck through cloth, and discussions about such. Most of those attributed as struck through cloth showed the cloth pattern more readily than yours (i.e. didn't take magnification to see it). Whether emery cloth could create that effect I do not know.

Yeah I'm not a chemist either but I do know Emery , crystalline  and things like aluminum oxide are used for the grit and can imagine they would have a reaction with copper  

When I looked at some Emery cloth it's does have the reinforced threads all going a single direction and could be the cause for a lighter thread pattern strike as it's pressing Emery grit first ....with that said would anyone have this coin slabbed 

Thanks again for everyone's help 

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

This coin was struck through cloth. I'm not convinced yours was: 

5a8b4d078f5cc_JPA1013obverse.thumb.jpg.d69058b40e0141131e0555f557e55aaa.jpg5a8b4d0933639_JPA1013closeup.jpg.9bddb47d94b064d9ea77ee97722bc080.jpg

That's a nice coin 

unfortunately your comparing a very low thread count strike (ie canvas) to a very high thread count strike my camera can't pick up the lines  but they are there I have 3xs the thread count as that coin i can try taking another picture my lines are all evenly spaced like that and all going same direction just much smaller 

55 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Does the reverse show the same pattern? (referring to the original posters coin)

Yes both sides the same and 100% covered at first it looks like a sand paper strike because of the pock marks buy I can see raised thread marks and I can follow any one of the 300 lines (150 on each side )from one side of the coin to the other but my camera photos can't penetrate the matte glare 

IMG_20180217_180331194.jpg

IMG_20180217_180331194.jpg

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Does the reverse show the same pattern? (referring to the original posters coin)

Here is a picture of the O in ONE on the reverse please keep in mind I can only hold the center in focus the lines are all evenly spaced over the entire coin 

This photo shows the thread lines going over the O and in the middle of the O 

IMG_20180219_191450430.jpg

If the lines go all the way from obverse to reverse, it isn't likely that it is struck through anything. Looks more like someone did some experimenting on it.

thTQOCQROZ.jpg

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If the lines go all the way from obverse to reverse, it isn't likely that it is struck through anything. Looks more like someone did some experimenting on it.

thTQOCQROZ.jpg

Sorry I ment I could follow the thread line from one side of the coin to the other left to right rim to rim not obverse to reverse the coin has the pattern on both sides ...

In any case, OP, seems you have a consensus, which is that no one has yet openly concurred about the struck-through-cloth theory, and no one has openly suggested sending it in for slabbing. Of course, if you feel confident in your assessment, you clearly do not need anyone's blessing to choose to send it in. If you are that certain of your conclusion, and you've checked values for such things, then it's your call. If you do, I'd be interested to know what the grading service makes of it.

I wish I could see the coin, however, your last picture of the "O" was helpful. In my opinion, this piece was subjected to heat. I have seen pieces very similar that coin doctors had wrapped a piece in very fine mesh and chemically treated for color via high heat. This time it appears to have been to much. 

54 minutes ago, JKK said:

In any case, OP, seems you have a consensus, which is that no one has yet openly concurred about the struck-through-cloth theory, and no one has openly suggested sending it in for slabbing. Of course, if you feel confident in your assessment, you clearly do not need anyone's blessing to choose to send it in. If you are that certain of your conclusion, and you've checked values for such things, then it's your call. If you do, I'd be interested to know what the grading service makes of it.

Im confident in the strike what ever the strike may be as I broke the penny out of the original mint roll 

But from the sounds of it not worth slabbing thanks for all the help jkk saved me some coin in slabbing fees 

32 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I wish I could see the coin, however, your last picture of the "O" was helpful. In my opinion, this piece was subjected to heat. I have seen pieces very similar that coin doctors had wrapped a piece in very fine mesh and chemically treated for color via high heat. This time it appears to have been to much. 

I wish you could see the coin also it's better in person as I use 20 dollar phone camera 

But I have an offer on the coin from the local coin shop who is willing to buy without grading fees sounds like I should sell it and not grade it as strike throughs sell for as little as 5 dollars