• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CSNS, St Louis, MO I took the drive and 2 day stay and I .......

9 posts in this topic

........didn't find much in FS nickels! I did run into a few FS collectors and sold some coins but I could find only a couple of wothwhile coins. There was a table that had a few pretty toned Jeffs in Pcgs holders but I thought they were overgraded and way overpriced. You've got to figured there's a reason why those coins are still in the case since no-one else has bought them. And I already have a bunch of perty nickels! If there was just one high quality coin in the bunch, I would have bought it. Weak strikes, die errosion or die fatigue, spotted or pocked cheeks, nicks, you name it, the coins had it.

There were a dozen tables that had a few other fantasy FS nickels but it didn't take long to see that the seller also had quite a imagination when it came to how he was grading his nickels! 27_laughing.gif

There was one coin that I really wanted but the dealer wanted 5 grand for it. It was a 1969-D in a SEGS holder that had 6646 sharp steps and the coin was very nice and markfree. And there were a couple of light marks on the steps but $5000!

The guy wouldn't stand for any explanation that he had his coin priced out of this world! He said it was a pop 1 coin, the best there ever was! Yeah right!

Folks, the 69-D is like any other 1960's Denver dates, it's not difficult to find partial step examples of the 1968-DS through 1970-DS. And with seeing the strike of this seller's coin, I can see full step examples of the 1968-D and 1969-D eventually surfacing. Another dealer at the show told me that he recently sold a near FS example with the 5th step complete for $300. Another example sold in Florida for $3500. These coins need to have the 5th step complete with very few distactions to the other steps! I couldn't see paying 5 grand for the coin. I actually had another dealer talk down the owner but he did get the guy to drop to $2500. But I'm looking at $100, possibly $250 but not what that guy was dreaming about, the coin is not that uncommon to find with partial steps!

I'll try to post pics of the two coins I picked up if I can capture the toning. I also located a beautifully toned MS67 2000-P Sac dollar if anyone is interested.

The only other thing that I didn't like at the show was the long walk between the show and parking ramp. After making that trip a dozen times and walking through the bourse floor a couple of times, my legs were killing me! There were a few times I would plunk myself down at a dealer's table just to rest and shoot the BS!

Leo

I'll try to post pics of the two coins I picked up if I can capture the toning. I also located a beautifully toned MS67 2000-P Sac dollar if anyone is interested.

Leo

Never heard of such a critter. Certainly would be interested in seeing it, Leo. Thanks for the post!!

VictorHere we go! I've been busy with a numberof things but here are some pics before and after I made some adjustments. I've also added an untoned coin for comparison.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Get simple, reliable, and affordable image hosting with Vendio today!

Before I made adjustments to picture.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Leo

And here were the first pics but then I decided I could get better pics removing the coin from it's 2x2 holder. The flaws on this coin are noted by the added arrows.On the obverse there is a noticeable horizontal nick in the hair. The reverse has a small nick up by a star and I believe the dark spot in the center of coin are die polish marks or raised lines that extend to the side and below the letter M but they don't extend past the M. There is also a slight impression at 10 o'clock on the reverse. The 3rd side is not damaged, only the edge shows slight flatness in that short distance at that point. And the 3rd side is toned giving the indication that the coin was housed in some kind of coin folder.The toning on the obverse is russet bronze like while the reverse is orange red with touches of pink and green along the eagles wings and below in the fields.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Leo

It's because i'm shy? blush.gif

Actually, most likely, I stopped by twice but like most shows, I get busy or the tables that are crowded, I try to come back to. We probably did talk but I don't do well making the connection with the boards. I actually made a list for the FUN show early this year but once I got started bussing tables, I didn't get to anyone there either.......and I was there for 3 days. Those that I did talk with, it really eats your time up. There's always another coin show.

Leo

Leo,

I do set up at the Springfield one day shows - three per year. I'll be doing the Silver Dollar Show in St. Charles (MO), the show at the Hilton, and the one day show at the Machininst Hall on St. Charles Rock Road. So that's six chances - I'll be expecting to meet up with you!

smile.gif

James