• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was I wrong in walking away?

3 posts in this topic

I have a 1919 D Walking liberty in great condition (my opinion) and when i took it to the local coin dealer, he said it was nothing special and offered $40. I walked away and have been lost as to what to do with it now.  Can anyone help? I can send u a picture of it...my main question is wether or not its worth sending in to get graded.

Impossible to answer this question without seeing the coin.  We have no way of knowing if your opinion of it being in "great condition" is valid and the value of the coin can vary widely depending on the coins actual condition.

Welcome to the forum. Without seeing the coin, I can't give an answer on whether it should be sent for grading with any sort of accuracy, but I can give some general information.

The 1919D had a mintage of only 1.1 million, most of which went into circulation. That makes it rare in high grades, and also higher priced in the lower grades, according to my quick check of prices. Since "great condition" is a relative term, some good quality pictures will help determine its condition and worth.

Having said that, if the coin grades Very Good or lower, has been cleaned, or has other problems, $40 was probably a good offer. A grade of Fine or above, assuming no problems, such as cleaning, deep scratches, etc., would in my opinion, be worth more than that. Even one with some issues could bring more if it grades high enough.

A couple of examples: a PCGS Fine sold for $164.50 last April, and a PCGS Cleaned-Very Fine details went for $408 in August.  LINK

Post some pictures in this thread, and see what others think.