• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marshall carter

5 posts in this topic

Hello Group, I'm new to coin collecting . Does anyone have knowledge or experience with a company called C&S RARE COINS, INC, 654 N.Wellwood Ave #217D, North Lindenhurst, NY 11757. They have offered to sell me a 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollar  NGC MS67 NGC Certificate #  3216023-006 for $2400.00, they claim this coin is worth over $4000.00. They sent the coin to me USPS insured.

How do I Know find what the actual fare market value really is? I'm Located in a small town in Charlotte County Fl. 33983.

9 hours ago, TMG said:

Hello Group, I'm new to coin collecting . Does anyone have knowledge or experience with a company called C&S RARE COINS, INC, 654 N.Wellwood Ave #217D, North Lindenhurst, NY 11757. They have offered to sell me a 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollar  NGC MS67 NGC Certificate #  3216023-006 for $2400.00, they claim this coin is worth over $4000.00. They sent the coin to me USPS insured.

How do I Know find what the actual fare market value really is? I'm Located in a small town in Charlotte County Fl. 33983.

Numismedia, which if anything I think is generally high, suggests a value of $730 for an 81-S in 67. I don't know anything about the company, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay anyone $2400 for an MS-67 81-S Morgan. An MS-68 might be another story entirely. I checked the listings for prooflikes and that produced a value of $1500. Without knowing more about the coin, of course, I can never be sure, but offhand their price seems rather high.

I looked at the first page of auction results on Heritage and they have sold over a dozen of them in the past year for less than $1000, over another dozen PCGS MS-67's for under $1000 as well.  Some as low as $552.  I'd say that unless there is something really spectacular about this coin it is overpriced.

There is a saying in coin collecting: "Buy the book before you buy the coin." In other words, before you spend a lot (or even a little) on a coin that is supposed to be a "good investment", or a "great deal", do some research. Learn about condition and rarity. Check auction prices. Talk with knowledgeable people. The coin industry, like any other industry, has good, helpful people in it, but also has folks who will be happy to take your money, well-spent or not.