• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

verify their authenticity

6 posts in this topic

To get them authenticated, the owner would have to send them in to be graded and encapsulated. The more money the owner wants for them, the more sense this makes. I suspect that there is a fairly high level of counterfeiting of ancient Levantine coinage for one simple reason: there are a very great many Americans with more money than sense, who know nothing at all about coins but who for religious reasons are fascinated by any ancient Jewish artifact, and who thus form an excellent market for counterfeits.

So. If they are expensive, they should be professionally graded. If they aren't, at least you are not risking very much money. Ani mekaveh s'hem otentim--hem yof'im.

By the way, the bottom one (if authentic) is Athenian, thus Greek rather than Jewish. I didn't look the others up but the lettering and owl are dead giveaways.

I don't think any of them are real with the possible exception of the one in the second picture.  It isn't of Jewish origin and is from the late 19th century.

3 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I don't think any of them are real with the possible exception of the one in the second picture.  It isn't of Jewish origin and is from the late 19th century.

I agree. I think all of these are fake, including the coin in the second picture. That coin has a Star of David, but it is actually from Morocco. Those coins are cast, and were commonly counterfeited.