• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Determine a coins value using the price guide.

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I have a coin graded MS-68 when I go to the price guide it shows a value of $11.00 for a grade of MS-60 and no other values than that.  I know rarity and popularity factor into a coins value.  The coin is 45 years old and only 15,000 were minted.  Any ideas on how you would determine the coins value.

Thanks,

John

I would check recent auction prices from online sites like Heritage, GreatCollections or Ebay, assuming there have been other coins of that type and grade sold recently.

Another important question is who graded it?  There have been a LOT of fly by night grading services in the past and their grading is often wrong.  For example SGS rarely saw anything they would grade worse than 68.  Is it a US or world coin?  Real quick off the top of my head I can't think of a 45 year old US coin with a mintage of only 15,000.